Question about Ammo...

Can someone tell me with certainty about firing 9mm luger VS. 9mm Auto...I didn't mic the casings but they appear exactly alike...also I have 6 rds of what looks to be 9mm ...but instead of having a copper jacket these are brass and the casing reads 9x19 with a 92 on the bottom...what are these ?

2. Member
    9x19 and 9mm Luger are both correct terms. "9mm auto" is also the same thing as commonly referenced but there are many 9mm auto cartridges on the market so be sure not to mix them up.

Thanks Transom...I had heard that there is a slight difference in diameter near the top of the casing on Luger ammo..thus causing the unfired round to nose down slightly before being chambered..contributing to more hang ups..I don't remember ever having any hang ups while firing my last Taurus PT92...(early model with no decocker) and this ammo is what I have left over after I sold it...I just bought a new one and didn't want to waste these..

4. Member
    They are indeed tapered. By the taper makes them more reliable slipping into the chamber IMO.

'preciate the info..went to get some ammo Yesterday and all they had was about 6 different brands of Luger...no 9auto...So I didn't buy any ..

6. Member
    Transon is correct......there are 3 most common 9mm on the Market today (14 diff from the past). 2 of them are 9x19 & another is 9x18....the 9x18 should be called 9mm Markov. The other 2 are 9mm Luger/Parabellum and the 9mm Auto.

If you find Parabellum or Luger market on it....that's what you want. Some guns will cycle 9mm auto ammo fine, some will not. All depends on there design. (Beretta 92 I think works ok with 9-auto)

here are some pictures from another website so you can physically see the differnce.
    Figure-1.jpg

Figure-2.jpg

hope this helps you

So it's best in your opinion to regularly fire the luger cartridge ? cool...that's what I seem to be able to find the easiest!!

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Transon is correct......there are 3 most common 9mm on the Market today (14 diff from the past). 2 of them are 9x19 & another is 9x18....the 9x18 should be called 9mm Markov. The other 2 are 9mm Luger/Parabellum and the 9mm Auto.

If you find Parabellum or Luger market on it....that's what you want. Some guns will cycle 9mm auto ammo fine, some will not. All depends on there design. (Beretta 92 I think works ok with 9-auto)

here are some pictures from another website so you can physically see the differnce.

hope this helps you
    Its Makarov, not Markov. I figured its just a typo but with some many different 9mm cartridges out there I didn't want someone looking for a 9mm Markov and not be able to find it.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Its Makarov, not Markov. I figured its just a typo but with some many different 9mm cartridges out there I didn't want someone looking for a 9mm Markov and not be able to find it.
    yep....typo....was responding in the moment I've shot a buddies Makarov.....actually neat little pistol. I think his was Bulgarian or Russian but not sure. All I know is it was just like a PPK, almost to a T

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    yep....typo....was responding in the moment I've shot a buddies Makarov.....actually neat little pistol. I think his was Bulgarian or Russian but not sure. All I know is it was just like a PPK, almost to a T
    Cool. I had a little Bulgarian Makarov in .380 many years ago. It shot really well but I hated the mag release on the butt of the pistol.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

11. Member
    Had never heard of 9mm Auto until today...

A quick internet search seems to indicate it may have been a failed attempt to improve the 100+ year old 9x19/9mm Luger/9mm Parabellum cartridge back in 2014. I cannot find a single example of 9mm Auto for sale anywhere on the interweb. If anyone happens to find this mysterious 9mm Auto, post it up.

Most handguns in this caliber are stamped with chamber marking of 9x19. This is synonymous with the classic designations of 9mm Luger and 9mm Parabellum cartridge.

-Richard

12. Member
    I don't think most retailers won't stock it or sell it anymore. I think it was Monarch and Aquila (sp) and few others that were coming out of Brazil or South America. Been quite a while since I really seen any. Might have been Blazer/Magtech that had a run of it once too, but I cannot recall who was doing it for while.

You can run across it in a box of reman ammo once in while as well. I bought a 300rd bulk box (loose) out of Florida once & there was a few that had feeding issues. I brushed it off till I looked at the case stamp......I went through rest of the cheap bulk I bought & weeded out the "Auto" one's. That was close to 6 yrs ago now.....so may not see it much anymore.