Any scope Gurus???

I have a NEW Nikon Prostaff Rimfire II rifle scope with mount. I mounted it and never sighted it and went to a Red Dot
    So now I bought a AR 9MM from a friend who needed the $$$. I want to know if I mount the rimfire scope
    on the 9MM rifle will there be any effects since the scope is for rimfire and the 9MM is center fire.
    I talked to a few and they said that there is really no difference in the end use of the scope since it is not
    going on a big rifle bore.

Any opinions?? Do you think it will harm the scope? Will the scope be OK on the 9MM rifle?
    I don't plan on shooting more than 100 yard and don't want to put the $$$ out for another Red Dot.

Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

2. Member

USA

Call the factory, They will be glad to help you.

3. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    9mm recoil won't harm that scope at all... My only concern would be if it has a BDC reticle that's specific to the .22LR (or .22WMR, or .17HMR, etc.) cartridge.

Fixed objective rimfire scopes are usually set to be parallax-free at 50-75 yards; centerfire models @ 100-150... Should be no problem, whatsoever, in your application.
    Who controls John Gill?

4. Member
    Brian is correct.

Reading specs on the Nikon it states Parallax set to 50 yds. Also the BDC 150 is cal'd to 22LR out to 150 with a Zero in @ 50yd. Drop on a 9mm will depend on length of barrel, but will drop way fast than a 40g in a 22lr for sure in the same length (assuming 14.5" pinned)

Assuming you have a 3x9, you will OK, but you will need it shoot it at each on of the circles to see where you are at. If you are shooting at your 50yd setup in your backyard.....get it zero'd & have fun

Recoil rating is good up to 1600fps loads on that scope as well, so pretty much any SAAMI 9mm load will be fine. +p or ++p loads may be pushing it.

It will definitely handle more than the P-22 they offer as far as diversity.

5. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Thanks guys.... I called Nikon, too and they told me it is a great scope for 100 yards in and the 9MM AR will do it no problems.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

6. Member
    Glad you called Nikon.....there Opinion is better than anyone here I think

7. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Glad you called Nikon.....there Opinion is better than anyone here I think
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971