Thread: X19 rod holder

X19 rod holder

Ok I gotta ask. Is it just my boat or did they delegate the rod locker responsibly to the dumbest sonofb*%#< in the entire Xpress complex. Mine is practically unusable. I can't even fit spinning rods in the hole cause the bottom guides are too big and I can only use the top row for baitcasters...but only the inside three cause the outside ones are too short. I'm just baffled that someone designed this and after testing they looked at each other and said "we got us a winner". My boat is a 2017 x19 if that matters. Not sure how yalls are?

2. Member
    As soon as I got my boat home I pulled the tubes out and rod holder. 4 screws and it just pulled out.
    Lee Setser
    2022 Blazer 625
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 12 Lives
    Lowrance Active Target

3. Member
    They attached my light to mine. I guess I would try to pull the tubes out. It's not like I have surf rods or anything how could xpress not see this as an issue?

4. Member
    You can fit more rods without it. Just remove it and detach the light and reattach it to the inside of the rod locker.

5. Member
    I have a passenger side console. Made it impossible to get rods in the tubes. I took the tube and tube holder out. Cut out the tubes and converted the bracket into 2 slots. Use rod socks and works perfect.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

6. Member
    Mine does not have the same layout as you guys with newer versions ........ it's the older more conventional 'port side rod locker'. But even with that style layout, the answer was 'stick jacket everything'. Now I can fit 24 rods (approximately 5-6 are spinning) fairly easily in that locker and most of them are 7' sticks.

With that said, I remember reading on here that some of the guys were having problems fitting longer rods (like 7' and 7'6") due to floatation foam apparently getting down inside the tubes when they injected it in ..... be it that it flowed or expanded, who knows. You might have the same thing happening to you on the length situation.

Good Luck ...... hope it helps some.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

I do the same as others have mentioned too. Removed the rod holders and just use the rod socks on all my rods. I can stuff 15-20 rods on each side with no issues.
    Xpress X19/200SHO

8. Member
    Foam could be the issue but it wouldn't matter with the spinning rods cause the hole is too small for the guides. Get that...a rod holder on a boat built in 2017 is sent out the door with a hole too small for a guide on a spinning rod! I previously had a ranger rt178 that had a far superior rod storage than a boat built 3 years later and cost 4 times as much!!!

looks like the consensus is take the rod holder out. Still baffled this is the best course of action on a brand new boat! Nice work xpress!!!

9. Member
    Hmm...I've taken them out of all my glass boats. Champion 206 - Champion 210 - Legend A211. Its just more efficient

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

10. Member
    I agree Steve' ....... I took mine out of my '05 Skeeter as well. Thankfully my '94 Ranger 391v was to old to have them. And if Ranger had not foamed them in permanently in my Ranger 518vx I would have yanked them out of that boat as well. I felt the same way as 'August west' ...... 'Nice work Ranger'.

But I do agree with him .... you'd think you could put a spinning rod in his new Xpress ...... unless he's got some kind of custom-something-or-other rod.

11. Member
    Hell im not good enough for custom rods!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by August west View Post
    Hell im not good enough for custom rods!
    Me too Bo!

I've got a few custom rods ...... and they are NICE! But to be honest, I find myself fishing BPS CarbonLite rods ALOT lately.