Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Million Thank Yous to anyone who can solve this mystery

I have a 2009 Yamaha 250 hpdi. It's on a Skeeter 20i.

I use the boat 60-80 times each year. Once or twice per year while out on the lake, I am unable to start it. I fish large lakes and often it takes hours to get back to the ramp with the trolling motor. This always happens once in the Spring. Usually, after a long drive to another state, but it does not happen on my first time out. More likely on the second or third day. I have literally been dead in the water in Florida, Alabama, Kentucky and Lake Michigan.

So, it has been into many different repair shops because of those different locations. No one can ever figure out why it didn't start because by the time I get back to the ramp, put the boat on the trailer, and get to the repair shop, it always starts in their parking lot. They have tried relays, fuel pumps, fuel bulb, batteries. Once again on my Spring trip to Kentucky, I was stranded on the lake last week.

Can anyone please advise me? I never know when this might happen. Like I said, it only does happen rarely, but as you all know, you just can't feel safe on the water if you are not positive your boat is going to start.

Thanks.

2. Member
    My 04 225 hpdi would not want to start when cold in the water, started ok in a tank, i found that if i tilted it up a bit, less back pressure, it would start. I have heard of others doing this too.

3. Member
    Fuel pump relay or any of its connections. Any anomaly anywhere in the wiring harness or its connections that would shut down fuel or fire. That is not an easy problem to find unless it is disabled at the time the tech has his hands on it.
    Is it possible that on each of these occasions you reversed the outboard prior to it not starting the next time you tried?

4. Member
    Next time it won't start, hook a voltmeter or something to the spark plug boot and see if you get any spark? If you get spark then it's probably a fuel issue.

Disclaimer: not an expert.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

5. Member
    When is the last time you had it sync and linked. Also next time hold the hot foot to the floor while cranking it over. See if it hits. Mine has hard started a couple times for no reason but never stranded me.

6. Member
    Check that ground cable on side of block is tight.
    Last edited by Wild Heethen; 04-24-2017 at 03:05 PM.

7. Member
    In the HPDI hey day I believe it was happening on tour. Was believed to be a vapor lock. I knew of it , and happened to me. Trimmed motor completely out of water. Waited a Moment, trimmed down, pumped primer bulb , good to go. Tour mechanics knew of it. Never resolved. My local pro asked me about it, that's how I knew how to resolve. ONE other time in cold water , it did not start at daylight. trimmed up to relieve what had to be back pressure and fired right up. Ran rough at idle. Never happened again.

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Just to understand things a little better... does the motor crank normally and won't fire up,or is it not cranking at all,or cranking slower than normal?Also,any clues you can think of...hot or cold weather,how long since last run,hot-warm-cold motor...any similar conditions you can think of before the no start Chris

9. Member
    Great responses guys...good ideas to check...Thanks.

To reply to your questions.

Yes the motor cranks normally.
    It is never on the first start of the morning. Usually after fishing for a few hours and starting it 3-5 times.
    It always is running fine before hand.
    It's really weird that it always happens after taking a long trip. But it has happened so many times there has to be something to that.

It basically always happens just like this last time...drive 9 hours to Kentucky lake. Fish all over the lake for two days. 4th start on day 3...it cranks and cranks but does not fire.
    Trolling motor 2 hours to a ramp. Still wont start. Take it out and drive to a Marina and it starts perfectly.
    This has happened on 5 spring trips.

I will use it 50 times this summer and if it is like the last 5 years, it will probably not happen...or maybe once....but I never know for sure.

10. Member
    I agree with champ210. Mine has done it just a couple times. It seems like it isn't firing. If you hold hot foot to floor it will start to fire a few times then you can let off and it will start. Acts like a flooded carb.
    Donald

11. Member
    Check how your kill switch seats. It doesn't take much to throw it out of wack yet it looks like it's in place.

Happened to me last year for the first time in August, didn't happen again the rest of they year. I just trimmed up / down and then it fired. I was on the niagara river about 2 miles above the falls, was a little tense...

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark from Canada View Post
    Happened to me last year for the first time in August, didn't happen again the rest of they year. I just trimmed up / down and then it fired. I was on the niagara river about 2 miles above the falls, was a little tense...
    Sounds like another vote for the "vapor lock" theory. Sounds reasonable to me.

14. Member
    I actually really want this to happen now so I can test the trimming up and down theory. I am super hopeful that will be the deal.

15. Member
    I had a similar experience with my 99 repowered OX66 225 this Spring. I did replace all 3 LP pumps as I was having fouled plugs at the same time. I am still working thru the occasional fouled plug issue, (not as bad since I changed the plugs to a different heat range). But I have not experienced the failure to start issue since replacing the 3 LP pumps. I have only experienced this incident twice since owning the boat 5 yrs now.h

16. Member
    I'm having similar issues with a 2000 225 Vmax. It works find 98% of the time... but after running in rough water, shutting the motor off, fishing for an hour and trying to start it, it won't fire. The starter engages fine and spins the flywheel, so I've been thinking its a fuel problem.

When it happened yesterday, I began using my kicker motor to get back in. I tried starting many times with no luck... Then I shook the top of the outboard as hard as I could. After that, it fired. I'm not sure if its a loose connection, or still a fuel issue. After looking under the hood I can't find anything loose.

Let us know if you are able to diagnose this issue!

Fuel Pump Relay would be my first look see... Do a search on here.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

18. Banned
    Just last week I experienced your issue on same setup as yours, wouldn't start, starter was turning but not firing up, checked to make sure it was in neutral, battery voltage
    12.67, pulled out wiped down to give motor time to "cool" backed in again same results. Took in, at shop it started right up, put it on water hose, mechanic started it roughly 30 times during
    the day, started a few times following morning again started every time.
    I feel better after reading some solutions above, THANKS GUYS!!!!

19. Member
    I had the same problem in my 2005 vmax. After the 4th trip to the mechanic they finally found the problem which was a relay, never had another issue.

20. Member
    I've got a new relay on the way. I'm also going clean the VST filter while waiting for it to arrive. Thanks for the tips, I'll let the group know if this solves it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast