Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    If you find that it was the relay, I'm interested in the old one. Someone needs to take one apart to see what they are made of in order to see if there might be a less expensive replacement option. I hate to cut up a good one, so if you determine it's bad, please let me know if you are willing to let it go.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

2. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    Be sure to check tps setting and perform the sync and link procedure....

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

relays have points inside get worn.burnt contacts like the old vw points in distributor after time.
    http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...EC&FORM=VRDGAR

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...77&FORM=VRDGAR

testing starter solenoids

so its relays, solenoids, Ignition switch, kill switch for checks, besides fuel

5. Member
    My old HPDI use to do the same thing. Turned out to be the neutral sensing switch on the throttle linkage. Replaced that and it never happened again.

6. Member
    Guy in our club had the neutral safety switch go bad on his mercury 250.
    Replaced $39 part and no problem since.

My 2009 HPDI Series2 has an issue starting with the motor trimmed down after fishing. I either trim it up and start or just pump the hotfoot just a bit while turning the key. Relieves the back pressure it seems.

Kill switch contacts.

9. Member
    I posted a while back with these same symptoms with my 2000 225 vmax. I've since replaced the relay and it had been just fine for the last 5 outings. Today it wouldn't start again! When I turn the key half way, the fuel injection system doesn't prime. I can usually hear it with the cover off. After tinkering around and moving a few wires around I was able to get it to start the rest of the day.

I'm still thinking its an issue with an electrical component that tells the fuel injection system to prime or the fuel pump itself. Back to the drawing board.. What else could cause only the fuel injection system not to operate? Everything else appears good.

10. Member
    I have a 08 300hpdi purchased new in 2011. Have had starting issue after it stalls or some times when just restarting. After 5 yrs + it got where every trip we had a problem. When it would stall I would have to wait for about 30 min. to start. Motor still was under warranty. They have worked on this motor for 2 months + , Had Yamaha rep here 3 times and could never find problem. Now they have motor idling at 8-900 and can't hardly get in gear. My warranty ran out while in shop so now there saying it sets to low in the water and would run fine on any other boat. My boat is a Gambler 2200 and it does set low but has been on the same boat for 6 yrs and it just got bad the last 6-8 months.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike1045 View Post
    I actually really want this to happen now so I can test the trimming up and down theory. I am super hopeful that will be the deal.
    For whatever reason, my 2008 Series 2 will do this and it seems to happen when I am trimmed all the way down. However, I have always been able to get it to turn over by holding the Hot Foot all the way down. It has never stranded me. Good luck!
    2020 Ranger Z521L Mercury 250 4 stroke

Not sure if the OP is still watching but I'm in the vapor lock camp with a few others. It was on a different engine, 60 Mercury fourstroke, but we had exactly the same issue. Would start fine the first time and only gave us issues after running it for a while and then shutting it down to fish. Mechanics could never get it to happen because you had to run it on the water enough to cause the heat to build up enough to cause vapor lock. Finally found a guy that knew was it was just from the description and he told us to replace the thermostat. Problem solved. I doubt the long drive has anything to do with it directly but maybe since you've gone to a new place your running the motor longer or harder and that helps trigger it.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

13. Member
    Having a similar issue....every now and then my motor does not want to trim up or down...just hear a click...then after trying a few times it works perfect...the last time at the lake it done this, the motor would not fire. I have never tried firing it before since its usually when im taking the transom saver off...last time was putting it on the trailer, that's when I realized it would not crank either....
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12