Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Z View Post
    Guys, one of the injured coanglers is my best friend and travel partner for this event and many other throughout the years. Takeoff had nothing to do with the wreck, neither did fog. It was raining and my friend said he was bundled up with his hood cinched down and had his head down while they were running in a straight line. We all have done this when we are the passenger and not driving. He didn't see it coming and woke up in the water. He had a vest type PFD. The area of the lake is wide open with no boat lanes and can see for miles. I have talked with him everyday since the wreck (drove to the hospital twice) and he is getting better. Broke ribs, punctured lung and a torn spleen was his injuries. They were not flown, he and another man was transported by ambulance. I wont go into details about the wreck but everyone in the boat should keep their head on a swivel. They are very lucky they are alive and not maimed.
    Thanks for real info and for your friend.......

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    So getting my mistress pregnant is an accident??? More like a unfortunate incident..that turns into a disaster.
    Now that's classic!!!

3. Member
    This was negligence, not an accident. Accident are something, usually mechanical, such as a blowout, and can't be prevented. Negligence is an intentional act for ones on convenience that creates the dangerous driving that caused the wreck. Very few wrecks are accidents. The sad part is one party is usually innocent yet still gets injured or killed by someone's negligence.

4. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Z View Post
    Guys, one of the injured coanglers is my best friend and travel partner for this event and many other throughout the years. Takeoff had nothing to do with the wreck, neither did fog. It was raining and my friend said he was bundled up with his hood cinched down and had his head down while they were running in a straight line. We all have done this when we are the passenger and not driving. He didn't see it coming and woke up in the water. He had a vest type PFD. The area of the lake is wide open with no boat lanes and can see for miles. I have talked with him everyday since the wreck (drove to the hospital twice) and he is getting better. Broke ribs, punctured lung and a torn spleen was his injuries. They were not flown, he and another man was transported by ambulance. I wont go into details about the wreck but everyone in the boat should keep their head on a swivel. They are very lucky they are alive and not maimed.
    For your friend and thanks for some real information.
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

You notice on here though how so may brag about the rough water they go out in. That's just as dangerous in many ways as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    You notice on here though how so may brag about the rough water they go out in. That's just as dangerous in many ways as well.
    To be fair, the stuff they are talking about isn't really rough water.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    To be fair, the stuff they are talking about isn't really rough water.
    I have to agree. It's not any fun to be STUCK out there much less go out in it. And Mark is right, one wave over the back or bow and you could be just as screwed as some idiot hitting you. Oh crap, we need to ban boats all together. Way to dangerous

WIRED2FISH EDITORS UPDATE: We've seen from multiple sources that co-angler Johnny Babb sustained broken ribs, a punctured lung and bleeding on his spleen. He had surgery on the spleen to stop the bleeding and last report from his wife he was breathing much better today and was even up walking around. Local authorities on the scene believe that a storm that rolled through around 11am contributed to limited visibility and that at least one of the two boats simply did not see each other.
    http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2...sta-flw-series

Updated. Looks like authorities are blaming the issue on human error.

9. Member
    It seems to me that some people lose all rational thinking when they get behind the wheel of a fast boat or car. I work with a guy that fishes a lot at night and he will run 60-65 mph across the lake in the middle of the night. I keep telling him that he is playing with fire and its only a matter of time before he gets burned and kills himself or somebody else, but he thinks its ok and keeps on doing it.

10. Banned
    What is wrong with running at night? I have been doing it for 30+ yrs. Pay attention and go. No different than driving at night.

11. Member
    Coming from two ppl with combined experience of all but 9 posts lol

Quote Originally Posted by FishinSkinny View Post
    Coming from two ppl with combined experience of all but 9 posts lol
    Yes, because we all know that having more than 140 posts is required before you can be a safe boater.
    After all, it's time on the Internet that counts, not time actually spent in a boat.
    Mike
    ---------------------------
    If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit

13. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    This was negligence, not an accident. Accident are something, usually mechanical, such as a blowout, and can't be prevented. Negligence is an intentional act for ones on convenience that creates the dangerous driving that caused the wreck.
    John
    We're both go fast guys but negligence doesn't mean INTENTIONAL. it means failure to take proper care. Not intentionally meaning to cause harm intentionally. If we're running WOT and we bump the trim to get the last bit of speed and we blow out and the boat turns around does that mean we intentionally meant to cause harm? No. We may not have any idea that extra bump in trim was going to make us blowout. It would have been an accident that it did. If we were driving in a car and looked down and then hit a guard rail that was an accident. Negligence? Absolutely. Intentionally? Unequivocally not. It sounds like in this case they weren't trying to get a top speed run? Sounds like it was accidental. I'm an insurance agent in MA. Intentional acts are never covered by insurance. I'd be willing to bet the insurance will respond and wouldn't be declined for intentional or illegal acts. I may be wrong but according to the definition of negligence it most certainly doesn't mean intentional.

Remember a blow out isn't mechanical it's from the operator bumping the trim a little too much at the wrong time. It's most certainly not mechanical.

neg·li·gence
    ˈneɡləjəns/
    noun
    failure to take proper care in doing something.
    "some of these accidents are due to negligence"
    Last edited by jayfaro; 04-23-2017 at 11:02 PM.
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbartles View Post
    Yes, because we all know that having more than 140 posts is required before you can be a safe boater.
    After all, it's time on the Internet that counts, not time actually spent in a boat.

15. Member
    I have to agree with the rough water thing, I hear lots of people talking about how far they're going to run in rough water or into Erie,it's a macho thing. What they don't realize is they drive by about 6 20lb sacks worth of fish while making the macho runs and risking it

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubee View Post
    What is wrong with running at night? I have been doing it for 30+ yrs. Pay attention and go. No different than driving at night.
    My problem isn't the running at night, it's the people that are in older boats with faded nav lights that just look white. Nearly went head on with an old Ranger with faded nav lights that just look white from any distance greater than 10 feet. Then they don't know to turn right, as I turned right, and I had to dump my throttle. They just want to fish and run WOT at night, but can't spend $20 on a new post nav light that actually works.

17. Banned
    Why would you be going head on at a boat that to you, looked to be anchored. You should not have to "dump the throttle" at a white light.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RobMVA View Post
    Why would you be going head on at a boat that to you, looked to be anchored. You should not have to "dump the throttle" at a white light.
    Maybe you missed the part there I said their front nav lights were faded out. Front nav lights. I see it all the time on older boats. The plastic lenses just don't look red or green any more, all you see is white past about 10 feet. And instead of the guy turning right, like he should, he turned left, when I was turning right. So, I dumped the throttle to keep from hitting him.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by terry5357 View Post
    Lake Lewisville north of Dallas is a place to avoid on summer holidays. Many people with more money than commen sense in large boats consuming large amounts of alcohol. If I'm not mistaken it listed as one of the most dangerous lakes in Texas. Was nearly swamped when in a stick steering boat from waves from a 40' yacht moving 10 mph thru a no wake zone under an Interstate highway bridge, a place he had no business being.
    I'm from NC but fished that lake 3 different times for college tournaments and it's dangerous even when those big yachts aren't on the water. get a 25 mph wind blowing across the main lake and a bass boat can get swamped in no time.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789