Need some advice Penn guys!

My daughter and b/f are going to be moving to Penn St. area...any info/advice on nearby lakes that would make towing my Stratos 9 hours to visit for a weekend would sure be appreciated...thanks!!

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

2. Member
    Not sure that any lakes are worth towing for 9 hours unless you are stopping at Erie....Price Galitzan, Sawyers and Raystown are all in that area but can't imagine they are worth towing that far. I'd pack a trout rod instead...State College is awesome...WE ARE :)

3. Member
    If you trout fish, do that. Raystown is only 30 min away. Plenty of 6 lb fish but it's an ever changing puzzle

Only lake in PA worth towing that distance is Erie. Now if you had a Jet boat then that's a different story....The river fishing is outstanding.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member
    Sayers (aka Bald Eagle State Park) is pretty close to Penn State. Easy to navigate and fish structure throughout the lake; Just google Lake Sayers and you'll be able to find a sufficient amount of information. If you want a larger lake head to Raystown. A little farther away, but a nice lake with a variety of fish (Smallmouth, Trout, Striper...). Boat traffic there can be challenging on the summer weekends. But the lake is big, deep and there are a variety of areas to fish.

Everyone has there own opinion. If your coming to central pa. Raystown lake is worth fishing. 29 miles long with tons of fingers and bays to explore. I agree Its a mad house on summer weekends and it never stops there is boat traffic day and night.The locals fish at night during the summer. Sayers is another good choice but its an hour + . I tow my boat everywhere I go unless whoever I am visiting has a boat.
    As far as fishing goes it can be tough anywhere. A friend of mine just spent a week on Murray in SC . 3 guys fishing , 8 to 10 hours a day . They averaged 4 fish a day.
    There is a 2nd choice . A kayak on the Juniata . Its not for me ,but its an option.
    2016 RT 188

7. Member
    If your going to raystown prepare for bed fishing. Yesterday water was 60.2 and fish were moving up. Found a few locked on but by next weekend they'll be spawning. Fish the backs and sunny sides of pockets. Look at the land and find the gradual fall of land to water, you'll see them shallow

8. Member
    If you like fishing acres of dense lily pads, check out Black Moshannon state park. Its an electric only lake, but its a fun frogging lake.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

9. Member
    Erie is the best smallmouth lake in the state, but the weather/waves can be an issue!

10. Goby King
    I'm almost 3 hours from PSU area and I don't even bother towing my boat there when I go visit the inlaws. Not worth the waste of gas.