2013 Z7 RPM GAUGE NOT WORKING

My RPM gauge hasn't worked the last couple trips out. It will zero out when I turn the key on, but will not read when running. I checked the wires on the back of the gauge itself and they seem ok. Is there anything on the motor I need to check? Or just replace it? And if replace, anyone have a link to a factory OEM gauge?
    Thanks.

A volt meter is your friend here. It can let u know if your getting a circuit to your gauge. I think you need to measure the ohms from the wires and the back of the gauge.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

3. Member
    Pretty sure I'm getting power because it zeroes out when I turn on the key. Just doesn't read RPMs when the engine is running

4. Member
    Mine did that on old boat,turned out the rectifier was bad.I would also get erratic reading.

Try this... I had my 2013 Z7 do the same thing if you pull it out. Then put your muffs on and start it up. get a pocket screwdriver and there are two "I think" pots back there ever so slichtly turn one way and right back where it was.do it on both. One is a high and one is a low. It worked for me after someone on here told me how to do it. But it would happen again in about six months later so I opted to swap it out for a smartcraft monitor in its place

6. Member
    Ok thanks. I know the screws you are talking about I will try that. I have 2 HDS units but I can't figure out exactly what I need to communicate with my pro xs.

7. Member
    I also have heard of the rectifier on older boats but not sure about these. And don't know where to look if it has one lol

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-Z7 View Post
    I also have heard of the rectifier on older boats but not sure about these. And don't know where to look if it has one lol
    I dont think newer motors have rectifiers they have convered to digital.
    You have to get a smartcraft guage and a network kit from Don Weed he will sell you the complete kit My HDS sees everything but the trim and fuel.

9. Member
    You have to get a smartcraft guage and a network kit [/QUOTE]

I don't need the gauge if I'm linking to HDS tho, right? Just set up my NMEA 2000?
    About what would it run to complete the setup because I would much rather have it on my unit than gauges
    Thanks for the help buddy

Nmea 2000 just networks or "talks" within HDS and LSS systems. The Merc-monitor or smartcraft incorporates the engine side diagnostics,RPM,hours,temp,Etc. The Smart craft has a plug that ties into your engines wiring harness. Thats the only way to make your HDS see what your motor is doing .Plus you can bring up the screen that shows the RPM on the smartcraft this is what
    I have

11. Member
    Ok thanks ���� I thought with the latest update for the HDS units included the ability to display all the information from my Merc to my head unit.

By the time you buy the mercury engine interface and cable as well as the extension and tee you will still have a non functioning tach in your console. And if you like cruising around with your data page pulled up all the time I dont. Plus the merc monitor will automatically scroll thru whatever you set up mine scrolls thru RPM, Water temp on engine and water PSI.

13. Member
    Yeah makes sense, not to mention if I decide to switch electronics I'll be back at square 1.

Yeah go with the Merc Monitor you cant go wrong.. you will love its info.. Mercury Loves Lowrance!

15. Member
    Thanks for the help!!

What is the cost for the merc monitor?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

I had the same problem on mine when I got my 2010 Z9. I took the Tach out and turned the adjustment knob on the back with a standard screwdriver back and forth a few times and placed it back on the appropriate setting, and it works great now.

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    What is the cost for the merc monitor?

+1
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax