How do I move a shoot-through transducer?

I am looking to install a remote drain plug. You can see in the picture that one of the hull mounted transducers if epoxied very close to the hole for the drain (you can see the tab for the drain plug in the top center of the pic) and may block the remote drain plug. I will try to shave down/sand the epoxy to provide clearance but if this doesn't create enough space I will have to move the transducer.

How would I go about moving this transducer? (I thought I read something about a block of wood and a mallet???)

What issues will I have to worry about?

What placement will still get me the performance out of the transducer?

Thank you in advance for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TAKE A 2X4 AND GIVE IT A GOOD WHACK IT SHOULD POP LOOSE ,IF IT DOES NOT GIVE IT ANOTHER ON,BELIEVE ME IT WILL COME OUT

3. Member
    Just removed a transducer from my bilge last night. Try smacking it with piece of wood(as stated above)....if that doesn't work try using a chisel(carefully). I used the latter. A dremel took care of the epoxy remnants stuck to my transducer.

How do you cleanup the epoxy that's remains behind? Grind it down or can you chisel under it and hope the whole glob comes out?
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

Couple of taps with a rubber mallet will do it.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

6. Member
    The best way I found is to grab it with channel locks and gently rock it side to side. It will pop loose and likely not damage the ducer. I have ground off the old epoxy with a grinder but you can use a chisel. Just move the ducer forward and reset. That area of the bilge is a single layer and it will still read. Just be sure to clean the new spot very well.