Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dry Storage In A Tin

I don't understand why they can't make the storage in a tin rig dry! All they need to do is break or weld a small lip just inside the lid frame (just like the hump in a glass boat). This still a big issue for me with moving to a tin rig. I fish in a lot of rain and I don't want to worry about gear getting wet or unloading the compartments after a trip.

This is about the only thing keeping me from getting serious about an rt198. For what they cost, is dry storage too much to ask?

Yes, I know this may seem like a petty issue but it really bothers me!

That would fix some of the problem. But you have to realize these decks are not welded all the way around to the hall their spot welded about 3 inches long every foot to 16 inches. So there is a gap or water runs between the hole in the deck down inside the compartments . The only real way to do it is to put in a container box with a lip like you are talking about. But that just cost more money.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

3. Member
    The Lund has the lip you are describing on most of the compartments. However, the floor can still get a little water from water running down the floor towards the back of the boat. It does, however, effectively seal the lid.

4. Member
    I've fished in the rain a few times from my RT188 and the front compartments stayed pretty dry. Some water always gets in as you open in the rain. The back compartments are wet storage, they get soaked. I don't have carpet. Open the lids in the garage and everything's dry in a day or so. What ever Ranger uses in the bottom of the the compartments for cushion doesn't soak water.

5. Member
    Having never owned a aluminum bass rig I'm confused as to why they are different then deep Vs. I use a lund mr Pike (called the impact now I think) and a crestliner fishhawk and I have been out in rain so hard that you have to run the bilge and my storage was still dry. Heck I have buried the bow into waves and taken feet of water over the front when walleye fishing and my storage stays dry. What is different on the mod Vs that make them wet?

6. Member
    A plastic liner with a lip to fit the boxes, would be
    a cheap fix to cure a water problem. I have 3 such
    boxes in my tracker, that stay dry. These were
    factory installed. Its as, if no company wants to build
    "THAT PERFECTLY DRY BOAT"
    Boats w/storage compartment lined w/carpet, look
    good at the boat show, but if they arent water tight,
    they are nothing but a problem. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Scott View Post
    you got that right!

That's what I'm saying. For the price of these new tin rigs, they should be able to do something

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteBite6855 View Post
    I don't understand why they can't make the storage in a tin rig dry! All they need to do is break or weld a small lip just inside the lid frame (just like the hump in a glass boat). This still a big issue for me with moving to a tin rig. I fish in a lot of rain and I don't want to worry about gear getting wet or unloading the compartments after a trip.

This is about the only thing keeping me from getting serious about an rt198. For what they cost, is dry storage too much to ask?

Yes, I know this may seem like a petty issue but it really bothers me!
    Maybe you need to actually go look at one. Mine has a solid lip around the storage areas. Been out in some serious rain, and yet to have water in any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike198P View Post
    Maybe you need to actually go look at one. Mine has a solid lip around the storage areas. Been out in some serious rain, and yet to have water in any of them.
    I have actually looked at one,

Quote Originally Posted by Great Scott View Post
    lol, I call it . Getting people to pay for eye-candy that is pretty useless in a functional purpose.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

12. Member
    I have actually looked at one,
    So, did you not see the solid ridge around the box under the lid?

All I saw was rubber weather stripping that is notorious for leaking. Glad yours don't, but they are not all that way. Either way that is not considered dry storage by the manufacturer. I don't want mostly dry, I want DRY for a 30 Grand price tag.

14. Member
    All I saw was rubber weather stripping that is notorious for leaking. Glad yours don't, but they are not all that way. Either way that is not considered dry storage by the manufacturer. I don't want mostly dry, I want DRY for a 30 Grand price tag.
    I just went out and looked at mine, and I stand corrected. I was wrong. There is not a lip there, just some weatherstripping, but I must say, it is very, very tight on the metal. I can see where it would leak if it was not tight though. As I said, mine does not leak, and I hope it stays that way.

It's all good!

That is really the only thing I'm struggling with on that boat. I know it's minor overall, it's just a big deal for me. It's the main thing that may force me to buy another fiberglass.

I've owned 3 different brands of tin plus a buddie own another brand. None are completely dry. I drilled holes in corners of the storage compartments in some to help drain and dry. My RT has 2 of the 5 that stay dry. The rod locker holds so much water it could be another livewell. I have a large variety of plastic boxes that I use to keep things dry. thank heavens for the dollar stores. All my tackle is stored so it can easily be pulled out so every thing can dry.
    The storage has lips and seals plus drain holes. The water comes in the rod locker through the recessed TM foot control.
    I fished last fall in 4 days of rain. there were times during the day that my bilge pump ran every 15 to 20 minutes. The lake I was at came up 3 feet. Nothing was dry and it took 2 weeks for the RT to dry out. I think they drain more than dry.
    2016 RT 188

17. Member
    It makes no difference if you have glass or tin, if you
    have carpet and the top deck was set in on top of rug,
    the best lids and drains will not stop water from wicking
    into your rod and storage boxes. The only way to waterproof
    boxes is to have a molded lipped liner for each box, with a
    foamed top lid that that forms a tight seal against that lip.
    The weak point in this, is the box latch. Some will leak water
    like a sieve.
    If a mfg builds a boat like this, thats all they can do to insure
    a dry boat, but so far I havent seen one thats made 100% this way.
    The only guaranteed dry boat is one thats never in the rain. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

18. Member
    That's why new Charger/ Champion 210 has no locks ,they leak. I'm currently looking at a Lund 1775 Renegade, no lip under lid and it has drain holes in the rod locker. I don't like that at all, i want completely dry storage

1997 Champion 181
    Merc XR6 150

I adjusted my lid latches to make my lids lock down more tight. So far I haven't had a problem with it. Fished only a couple times with hard downpours.
    2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N @ Helix 12 G4N on bow * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N at console * M360-MEGA Live
    Blue Water LED Red Deck Lights, LED White Light in Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels. Cool Foot pad on t/ motor .

When my boat was at the factory for a warranty item, I complained about the leakage. I was actually in the aluminum boat factory finish area with my boat. The manager sent someone after some larger weather stripping and they ripped the old stuff out and used a very sticky black tarlike sealer/glue and stuck them to the aluminum. They also worked on my latches. That worked for the most part.

Regarding making a lip around the cabinets....On aluminum that would be a lot tougher than with a fiberglass mold and a lot more labor intensive. What would happen is that people would then complain how much more expensive XYZ boat is than others and buy the cheaper boat. Is the boat perfect---no. But everything has pluses and minuses. I had two cases of fiberglass blisters on my glass hulls. You have not experienced a horrible problem with a boat until you have them. You just cannot imagine the trouble. Spend a little time working on the storage lockers and you can keep them pretty dry.....All except the two on the back deck. They will leak no matter.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast