150 4Stroke vs 175 Pro XS

Looking at upgrading boats in the next year. (Looking at a Phoenix 618) Would like to stay with a Mercury. If speed was not a concern and just looking at cost of "running" one of these motors and also the reliability after warranty, which would you choose and why. The "plan" is to keep this next boat for awhile.

2. Member
    I have a pro-xs on my personal boat, but for a long lasting outboard in that size range I'd recommend the 4-stroke in a heart beat.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

3. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    I have the 150 4s and have run it 3 seasons with zero issues. I like this motor.

Given those criteria I'd go with the Fourstroke but honestly I don't think there is a ton of difference between these two in this regard. Much has been said about the cost difference between a four stroke and a two stroke but its so close that, IMO, it's a non factor in the total cost owning a bass boat. That said, the 150 Fourstroke so far appears to be one of the most reliable outboards available in that segment.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would go with the 150 Fourstroke, given your usage and goals. Should provide you with many years of trouble-free service (properly maintained, of course).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor