Have you seen this before?

Just picked up an HDS12 gen 3 to replace my HDS 9 gen 2. This object kept showing up last weekend when I was fishing and I am pretty sure this is not the exact object. The reason is that this showed up in many places in shallow and deep water. Would you think this is an issue with the transducer? Thanks for your help
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I have seen weird things happen with sonar when rotating the TM before. Most of the time something is not adjusted properly but other times it seemed it was just the irregularity in the sonar cone of the transducer. The cones are by no means exact and can be different from one side of the transducer to the other so rotating the transducer could cause an odd display.

Is the transducer connected to the TM? Is the transducer level and directly on the bottom of the motor? Does the TM rotate true (not bent).

3. Member
    yes, connected to the trolling motor, Looks level as I have it in a transducer housing that fits the bottom of the trolling motor and the TM does not feel bent. I will work on adjusting it a little and see if that fixes it. Just weird I do not recall it on the HDS 9 and I did not replace the transducer when I put on the 12

4. Member
    I would pay close attention when you turn the TM. Does the problem occur in the same spot each time?

The other idea I had was a failing/shorting transducer wire. If the wire gets shorted for a very sort time while the TM is rotating the locator would display a weird return I am sure.

5. Member
    Thanks for the advice, I will go out on an even different lake and see if I can duplicate it and work to identify when I see it happen.

6. Member
    I may have found my issue.. Blonde moment.. Just plugged in the unit to my pre-existing set up. Did not think to check transducer setting. It was showing "unknown". Hopefully that will take care of my issue.

7. Member
    As a follow up the changes in my settings did NOT resolve the issue. It appears to only happen when I step on the foot pedal. If I leave the TM engage, that signal or interference does not happen. But once I step off and back on the pedal it will repeat. I have inspected the transducer wire but do not see any type of open wire, cuts, etc. Also this did not happen with the HDS 9 before I removed it. Thoughts?

8. Member
    did you reroute the transducer wire with the new locator install?

9. Member
    No, it was already installed with my HDS-9 gen 2. All I did was plug it up.

10. Member
    I would try routing the wire a different way. Make sure the wire does not travel down the power cables for the TM. Route it instead down the base bracket to the pivot and back if needed. Leaving slack were slack is needed for the pivots. Make wire ties and black tape your friend.

If that is already how it is routed I am out of ideas at the moment.

11. Member
    I would check my power source...........make sure it is routed to starting battery, not TM battery. If it is happening when foot pedal depressed, sounds like it could be connected to trolling battery.

I would look at interference settings myself or noise rejection what ever its called