Thread: Best boat shoe

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Member
    i wonder how much this has to do with our arches? For example, I can't wear a Nike shoe for any purpose. That does not make them a bad shoe but just not for me.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
    i wonder how much this has to do with our arches? For example, I can't wear a Nike shoe for any purpose. That does not make them a bad shoe but just not for me.
    You hit the nail on the head. I'll add the last of the shoe is another important requirement when purchasing for comfort and utility.
    There is not a tennis shoe made I can wear longer than an hour. Ask me how I know
    "SEE YOU AT THE TOP"

I have had 3 knee replacements and back surgery. The best shows I've found are skateboard shoes from Skechers called GoFlex. Comfortable, light, good arch support, dry almost immediately and have very good soles to avoid slipping and sliding.

I believe you will like them for either $39 or $49.🚤
    Old Retarded Jarhead
    Master Sergeant of Marines (Retired)

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Soft Science.
    ^^^^^These, Best fishing investment I've ever made.^^^^^^
    USAF Retired 1981-2004
    Police Detective Retired 2004-2022

5. Member
    I use Aasics running shoes. They have mesh sides for quick drying and breathing. Great support, and I don't get chickenpox sunburns on my feet.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PASCOFISHBOY View Post
    The best pair of shoes are the ones the good Lord gave you.
    Agreed. A lot of foot and back problems are caused by wearing shoes with entirely too much support, especially in the arch. All that support allows your foot muscles to get lazy and weak. There is a reason that serious runners are moving away from shoes with a ton of support towards minimalist styles with almost zero support. It's ultimately better for you.

If the deck is just too hard for you, then find something with a little cushion like a minimalist running shoe or flat sandal. More support will not fix the problem that it caused in the first place.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    Agreed. A lot of foot and back problems are caused by wearing shoes with entirely too much support, especially in the arch. All that support allows your foot muscles to get lazy and weak. There is a reason that serious runners are moving away from shoes with a ton of support towards minimalist styles with almost zero support. It's ultimately better for you.

If the deck is just too hard for you, then find something with a little cushion like a minimalist running shoe or flat sandal. More support will not fix the problem that it caused in the first place.
    Interesting take. Is this backed by medical science? I'm not asking because I doubt you - just because it is an interesting idea and I'd like to know.

8. Banned
    I've had every boat shoe on the retail market. Many are now costing $89, $109 and $159 per pair now.

I'm buying Dockers' boat shoes for $59 on Amazon.com, and they're as good quality as there is. My 5th pair of the same shoe just came in today.

With a size 15 Narrow, I have to use 15 Medium and put a gel insert in them. They're true to size, however.

9. Banned
    A good pair of sneakers, really reduce fatigue by the end of a tourney day, less chance of tripping or falling in versus flip flops too.

From my personal experience, I am less fatigued at the end of the fishing day if I wear highly-cushioned running shoes over my flat sandals. I have experimented on fishing trips- sandals one day and then running shoes the next. Felt much better with the running shoes.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cain Roberts View Post
    Interesting take. Is this backed by medical science? I'm not asking because I doubt you - just because it is an interesting idea and I'd like to know.
    It's backed by a few hundred thousand years of humans walking around with no shoes and very little feet or back problems. Modern humans want to be comfortable. Super soft shoes are inherently unstable and allow you to walk and run incorrectly by striking with the heel. You are built to strike with the mid or forefoot. If you heel strike while barefoot or in minimalist footwear it hurts, so you instinctively don't do it. With cushioned heels, you don't feel pain, so you end up walking incorrectly.

Watch a child run barefoot compared to an adult with super cushioned "running" shoes. Totally different stride. Our bodies are built for barefoot. Shoes were originally designed to protect our feet from sharp stuff not to cushion us from simply walking. That came later.

Try barefoot or no-rise shoes for a while. It's going to suck at first if you've been wearing crazy supportive shoes for years. But as you rebuild your arch and foot muscles, it will definitely be better in the long run. For your joints, posture, everything.

12. Member
    The best thing to do for your feet is to control your weight then most any quality shoe will do.

To many Cokes and Twinkies will get you every time.
    Last edited by Whiteboat; 05-16-2017 at 08:42 PM.

13. Member
    It's backed by a few hundred thousand years of humans walking around with no shoes and very little feet or back problems. Modern humans want to be comfortable. Super soft shoes are inherently unstable and allow you to walk and run incorrectly by striking with the heel. You are built to strike with the mid or forefoot. If you heel strike while barefoot or in minimalist footwear it hurts, so you instinctively don't do it. With cushioned heels, you don't feel pain, so you end up walking incorrectly.

Watch a child run barefoot compared to an adult with super cushioned "running" shoes. Totally different stride. Our bodies are built for barefoot. Shoes were originally designed to protect our feet from sharp stuff not to cushion us from simply walking. That came later.

Try barefoot or no-rise shoes for a while. It's going to suck at first if you've been wearing crazy supportive shoes for years. But as you rebuild your arch and foot muscles, it will definitely be better in the long run. For your joints, posture, everything.
    So this is based on your own deductive reasoning and understanding of physiology, and not the opinion of medical professionals/physical therapists/health experts? Again, I'm not asking because I doubt what you're saying. I just want to know where this rather unique point of view is coming from.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    The best thing to do for your feet is to control your weight then most any quality shoe will do.

To many Cokes and Twinkies will get you every tie.

15. Member
    Under Armour Fat Tire series. I have the sandals and love them. I will be getting a pair of shoes or boots as well. I also have crocs santa cruz, But I would rather wear open tie sandals
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2005 Ranger Z21 250 Vmax HPDI, Dual 12' Talons.
    OLD - '97 Ranger 482VS Classic Edition #41 175EFI
    OLD - '96 Ranger 207 Cherokee Aluminum with 115 Yamaha
    BassClub - Gadabout Bassmasters
    My Humminbird Side Imaging Forums --- http://www.sideimageforums.com

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cain Roberts View Post
    So this is based on your own deductive reasoning and understanding of physiology, and not the opinion of medical professionals/physical therapists/health experts? Again, I'm not asking because I doubt what you're saying. I just want to know where this rather unique point of view is coming from.
    Do your own googling. I could post a bunch of links but unless you research it for yourself, it won't matter. Not trying to being an ass, just reality. I liken highly supportive shoes to wearing a hand brace all day every day when you are perfectly healthy. You wouldn't do that, would you? So why are you bracing your feet all day? Muscles that don't get worked atrophy and need more support. It becomes a vicious cycle.

Also, the point above about weight is a huge one. We also weren't built to be well over 200# at 5'10".

17. Banned
    Under Armor slider sandals. They have a memory foam in-sole that feels like walking on clouds.

18. Member
    I would love to fish in flip flops or barefoot, but the fear of kicking a treble hook (on one of my rods on deck) with and open toed shoe keeps me putting running shoes on for every trip.

Maybe I need to consider some sort of hook guards for the rods on deck then I could go barefoot.
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

reef and Simms flip flops or UA kilshis

My bad back and knees likes crocs, rarely hurt after fishing.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast