MG TOUR 82 QIUT. ON WATER HELP!!!!

When the switch is depressed the prop just sits thereband shakes. You can put it on constant on and the same thing. What gives? Sure screwed up a good day of fishing.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

line wrapped around the shaft, spin the prop backwards and then take the prop off.

3. Member
    No line on shaft behind prop. What else? Now it makes 1/4 of a turn and starts the shaking business. Complete head was replaced couple years ago with a new one. Do the digital heads go out this fast? If I used this 3-4 times a week I may see it but not for the use on this 2 yo unit.

4. Member
    Another thing. It does not hit a lick on constant when switched, and on high bypass it does the same thing as if used on momentary setting like you are fishing.

Add. Just checked voltage from batteries and have 25v. Depress the switch and check red wire and only show 10v. Could there be a short in the switch? Since I get 25v from plug to foot pedal, there should not be any issues with wiring from plug to pedal, right?
    Last edited by drake322; 04-20-2017 at 07:09 AM.

5. Member
    Check plug connections. Are you saying you get 25volts at the pedal when you have switch depressed? A bad connection can show good voltage with no load but drop off when hitting switch and putting it under load.

6. Member
    I am getting 24 volts to the bottom of the pedal. When I depress the foot switch I only get 10 volts. So what could that be a bad switch or do I still have wiring problems?

7. Member
    Are you saying you have 10 volts at the battery side of the switch or the motor side when the switch is pressed. If it's the battery side you probably have a bad connection between the battery and the switch causing a voltage drop under load or your TM batteries are dead when you put them under a load. Check the negative wire connections too.
    I doubt switch is bad because it doesn't work on continuous or bypass either.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Voltage dropping under load usually indicates a bad connection. Maybe your connector? Repeat the test on the back side of the connector.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Voltage dropping under load usually indicates a bad connection. Maybe your connector? Repeat the test on the back side of the connector.
    Are you talking about female side of plug in on dash? I will pull all and check.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drake322 View Post
    Are you talking about female side of plug in on dash? I will pull all and check.
    Also check where the wires go in the back of the plug

11. Member
    OK, problem solved. I replaced a TM battery 2 weeks ago and for some reason I only snuged the nut down on the ground side, and tightened the breaker side. I checked these yesterday but did not notice the loose ground. 1/2 turn on the nut and BAM, she works. Yea I know, dumb ass..............

Thanks for all those that replied!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drake322 View Post
    OK, problem solved. I replaced a TM battery 2 weeks ago and for some reason I only snuged the nut down on the ground side, and tightened the breaker side. I checked these yesterday but did not notice the loose ground. 1/2 turn on the nut and BAM, she works. Yea I know, dumb ass..............

Thanks for all those that replied!
    No that you've found it, take the nut back off, use a wire brush and clean the terminal and the bottom of the nut as well as the ring terminal. When it's loose, it will develop a burn (much like a varnish) that insulates the terminals.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    No that you've found it, take the nut back off, use a wire brush and clean the terminal and the bottom of the nut as well as the ring terminal. When it's loose, it will develop a burn (much like a varnish) that insulates the terminals.
    Will do, thanks!

14. Member
    Glad to hear you've got it going.

15. Member
    Another loose nut in in a bass boat on the water.