Talon Sandwich Bracket Question

Hoping to mount a 12' talon this weekend. I have a 6" jackplate that I'm also installing and I've got a sandwich style bracket (new fully adjustable style) is there any preference or desired reasons for mounting between transom and jp vs between jp and motor? Only thing I can think of is any future changes or adjustments would be easier between jp and motor installation. But not sure if 1 is better than the other for solidness of mount or holeshot or performance in any way?

I have a 96-Ranger 461vs with Merc 150 xr6

2. Member
    Depends on the jackplate. I installed my sandwich bracket between the motor and jackplate (Detweiler), but I have to be careful how far up I trim up my motor or the steering rod will hit the jackplate and cause issues. But your assessment of where to place the sandwich mount is similar to mine as well even though I had only one choice since Bass Cat has a 6 hole transom which takes away that option for mounting.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

3. Member
    I'm not sure it really matters but if you take the bolts out of the transom make sure you reseal them really good. One thing would be if you plan on mounting another one later it might be easier to add to the jack plate/motor connection

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    I'm not sure it really matters but if you take the bolts out of the transom make sure you reseal them really good. One thing would be if you plan on mounting another one later it might be easier to add to the jack plate/motor connection
    Very good point.

5. Member
    Exchange the sandwich style adapter bracket and get the jack plate adapter bracket.
    07 STRATOS 176XT

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostr View Post
    Exchange the sandwich style adapter bracket and get the jack plate adapter bracket.

Ya that would be a better option for sure!

7. Member
    Exchange?

Of you have a CMC jack plate a jack plate mounted bracket won't work. Is your jack plate hydraulic?
    Scott Inman

I have the same question as the OP. Mount between JP and Motor or mount between Motor and transom? I have a CMC Powerlift with 10" setback and would also like to know about holeshot changes after moving the motor back another 3/4" or 1". Thanks in advance!
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X