Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter03 View Post
    By draining oil down all your doing is lowering the level of contaminated oil. The oil is thinned with gas and that is not great for the motor. Drain it and replace with fresh oil. I changed mine at 5 hours level was at top of full line and when winterized (9hrs). Sent oil out and it came back as 3.8% fuel in the oil at 5 and 1.5% when it was winterized. Ran hard with less trim and oil level didn't rise as much and less fuel in oil.
    this is going to be my 4th oil change in 25 hours...
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

2. Member
    I have about the same amount of hours on mine and never had to do anything with it . At 20 hrs it was just flirting with high mark on the stick . I can't say that I did anything special breaking it in . I kind of went by the book in the first 3 or so hrs then just let her eat after that . The only thing that I can think of that may have helped speed the process is I broke it in during the dog days of summer but hell , I don't know . I ran it probably 9 or so hrs with a dealer supplied prop that would only turn around 5800 running light . Then I spent a lot of time making runs with a new prop and got the pitch right to where I can get 6100 . I guess some just take longer to break in .

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    motorguide Xi5 80 with pinpoint gps
    Lowrance elite 5 ti with total scan console
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trusty Rusty View Post
    I have about the same amount of hours on mine and never had to do anything with it . At 20 hrs it was just flirting with high mark on the stick . I can't say that I did anything special breaking it in . I kind of went by the book in the first 3 or so hrs then just let her eat after that . The only thing that I can think of that may have helped speed the process is I broke it in during the dog days of summer but hell , I don't know . I ran it probably 9 or so hrs with a dealer supplied prop that would only turn around 5800 running light . Then I spent a lot of time making runs with a new prop and got the pitch right to where I can get 6100 . I guess some just take longer to break in .
    I will say that most of the hours I have put on it have been the winter where water has been 40-60F for the majority of those hours. it's warming up a bit, maybe it'll finally seat the rings.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

4. Member
    After reading all of this I'm starting to feel sorry that I bought a boat with this brand engine. I had an E-tec before and never had to do this much maintenance. You could run it hard right out of the box. Just something else to worry about!

Quote Originally Posted by RDOCK View Post
    After reading all of this I'm starting to feel sorry that I bought a boat with this brand engine. I had an E-tec before and never had to do this much maintenance. You could run it hard right out of the box. Just something else to worry about!
    Once broken in correctly there is no abnormal maintenance.

You couldnt get me to trade my SHO for a gen1 ETEC if you gave it to me haha
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

6. Member
    Have you even tried one?

Have you even tried one?
    No, but after seeing more than I can count struggle to get out of the hole when tourney loaded and having a SHO that jumps out of the hole even heavy loaded inc 3 ppl, and knowing it wont be near as fast as my SHO on top... again, I wouldnt trade.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

8. Member
    5 hours in on a new F200. The past 2 hours have all been above 4K rpms. Just changed oil because it was about an inch high. Kinda sucks because I want to use it not drive around all the time. Dealer told me to run another 2 hours the same way and see where we are

9. Member
    Etec was my first choice but xpress are Yamaha exclusive.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The gurg View Post
    I've had atleast 4 or 5, 20minute long runs at WOT pushing over 6k rpm and two over them atleast an hour long. Maybe I'll do another one this weekened. I couldn't believe I had to pull another water bottle' s worth of oil to get it back to normal again. Last time it got so high, it came out the airintake
    If your oil is that bad diluted it needs to be changed! Pulling out oil still leaves you with thin diluted oil
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

11. Member
    Ran the first 3.5 hours by the book in one day. Very boring by the way.
    Oil was close to 2" above the top mark.
    Changed oil at 3.5 hours, only filling up to halfway between the top and bottom marks.

Currently at 8.4 hours, and is a little over 3/4 between the top and bottom marks.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by friogatto View Post
    Ran the first 3.5 hours by the book in one day. Very boring by the way.
    Oil was close to 2" above the top mark.
    Changed oil at 3.5 hours, only filling up to halfway between the top and bottom marks.

Currently at 8.4 hours, and is a little over 3/4 between the top and bottom marks.
    This has got to be a joke that they would produce an engine that would do this . They should reimburse everyone for any thing spent and for the time spent changing all of this oil. I'm not doing any of this and if anything happens it will be on them and the warranty I am also contacting them with a complaint. (PS) don't buy a Yamaha! You will spend the rest of your life doing maintenance.

13. Member
    Just finished putting the first 2 break in hours on a 250sho. Oil was about 1/2 inch over the top mark but I didn't check it at delivery. The oil doesn't smell like gas. Brought it to the Dealer and they drained a half quart and sent me on my way.

Dealer is not a wealth of information. Do we run conventional oil during break in?

14. Member
    This has got to be a joke that they would produce an engine that would do this . They should reimburse everyone for any thing spent and for the time spent changing all of this oil. I'm not doing any of this and if anything happens it will be on them and the warranty I am also contacting them with a complaint. (PS) don't buy a Yamaha! You will spend the rest of your life doing maintenance.
    No its not a joke, ALL 4 strokes make oil. BTW many SHOs never break the full mark during a normal break in, but there are many variables to oil level as well when reported.

You are saying that you are going to avoid proper check before starting as pg. 48-49 says in the manual? Good luck with a warranty when Yamaha sees a block full of gas and oil.

15. Member
    Hey Gurg , how's it going with your SHO ? Is the oil making slacking off ?

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trusty Rusty View Post
    Hey Gurg , how's it going with your SHO ? Is the oil making slacking off ?
    I was out of town for a few weeks so but I just did a fresh oil change on it. I took it out yesterday and kept it right at 6300RPM for 15 min or so followed by a 30min at 6000RPM. I checked the oil when I got home and I could smell some fuel in it, but the level didn't rise enough for me to notice it. i'm hopeful those runs were enough to get those rings to seat. if it keeps making oil, i'm going to have some words with Yamaha. i'm really tired of spending 50$ every 5 hours for an oil change, and then wasting fuel and time. i'm up to about 27 hours on the motor now.

I've had the motor since October. the water temp for the majority of those hours was about 45F. the water temp is about 70F now. maybe that is what's making it take so long as suggested by richhat.
    Last edited by The gurg; 05-11-2017 at 07:58 AM.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

17. Member
    I feel your pain man . Hopefully the warmer weather will do the trick .

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

18. Member
    Flirting with the full mark again at 11.9hrs.

Getting my moneys worth out of the mityvac oil extractor.

19. Member
    I have a SHO 250, and it made oil just past the 50 hour mark; however, that's because I was given advise and just really never followed it. I finally had enough of changing the oil, because like many of you, I didn't want to be running with fuel contaminated oil. RUNNING WIDE OPEN TRIMMED OUT IS NOT THE FIX. I thought the same thing and would run as fast as I could, but the engine runs so efficiently that doesn't heat it up.

The fix that I finally followed, by Yamaha, was to trim all the way down tucking the engine under, and if you have a jack plate, leave it all the way down as well, and just run it like that every where you go keeping it under constant heavy load as hard as you can. It will heat up and seat the rings. I filled my boat up with fuel, went out just to purposely seat the rings, and after doing this for 2-3 hours of run time, I haven't made a drop, and that's even idling around now watching my side and down scan.

By the way Yamaha is not the only one with this issue. Ask those who have Verados, they do the same thing but way worse. The newer modern four strokes will do this until you heat them up enough to seat the rings.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked247 View Post
    RUNNING WIDE OPEN TRIMMED OUT IS NOT THE FIX.
    This is not true. Many of us who needed to stop oil making had to do this. Also if you look at the engine data output from trimmed down at WOT is completely goes against all theory to heat the rings. It pushes just about the same amount of fuel in GPH at 5,500 trimmed down as it does at 6,100 trimmed out. It also runs about 10 degrees cooler as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast