Thread: Shimano Calais

Shimano Calais

I have 3 older Calais (cl 200-5, cl 200, cl 200a) they all say Japan on the bottom I also have a few extra spools for them there all in fair shape Just wondering if anyone can tell me the specific difference in the different models I'm considering posting them in the for sale section but want to be able to answer any questions before they start asking. Thanks Matt
    Bullet 21xrs & xdc

Of the reels you address, the 200A is the newer model of the 200 with a 6.2:1 gear ratio, the cl200 5.5 is the cranking version. The 100A is the smaller sized and is arguably the best reel ever put out by Shimano. There is also a magnesium version if that interests you. Then you have 200asv designed for saltwater, the 200apv another cranking version. They are awesome reels and it is a pity they are no longer made. Have no fear, jdm Antares can still be had. If you get lucky you can find some on the bay.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenfish View Post
    Of the reels you address, the 200A is the newer model of the 200 with a 6.2:1 gear ratio, the cl200 5.5 is the cranking version. The 100A is the smaller sized and is arguably the best reel ever put out by Shimano. There is also a magnesium version if that interests you. Then you have 200asv designed for saltwater, the 200apv another cranking version. They are awesome reels and it is a pity they are no longer made. Have no fear, jdm Antares can still be had. If you get lucky you can find some on the bay.
    In this vintage, the CL MG5 was equipped with an MG spool...the body is still aluminum. The newest versions of the JDM Antares (which is likely the same as the USDM versions) has MG construction in the sideplates and is no longer recommended for SW use. HTH.

4. Member
    Thanks for the info guys!
    Bullet 21xrs & xdc

5. Member
    CL 200-5 or MG5 is also a lower gear ratio reel designed for slow-rolling and crankbaits...the rest should be the standard 6.2:1 IIRC