640lx length with swing away?

Looking at purchasing a 1999 640lx today and was curious if anyone's added a swing away trailer kit to one. Just curious when folded how long it will be since I'd like to store it in my garage that's about 19.5 ft front to back.

2. Member
    I have a 2001 640LX with a 75hp Mercury with recently installed a swing away. I barely fit it in a 20' storage unit with the motor down. I have a couple inches to spare and have exactly 24 inches of length after the swing away. Hope this helps.

3. Member
    Awesome so with a little angle in a 2 car garage I should be fine then I think it's really right at 20ft from front to back of my garage.

I'm looking at picking the 1999 with a 75 Mercury today just curious but what kind of speed can I expect

4. Member
    Just me, I used to run the factory 23p aluminum prop and would run about 42-44 mph gps. I recently swapped on a 23p 4 blade stainess steel prop and I am running about 45-46 mph gps. With a buddy, I would run about 43-44 mph gps. It gets out of the hole a bit better with the 4 blade. I also lifted the motor up two holes and built a deck extension which added a bunch of deck space.

5. Member
    Can you show me some pictures of the extension? I picked it up and should have the swing away hitch part today but I'm taking her out for the first time this afternoon.

Also is there anyway to lock the trailer? I know with my jonboat and my old pro17 the trailer had the standard setup and I just threw a padlock on to prevent theft. This trailer is different at the hitch so it kinda shocked me there no way to lock it to prevent theft say at the boat ramp or anything.

6. Member
    PM me your email/phone number (if you have an iPhone). I've been having trouble uploading pictures on here.

7. Member
    As for the lock, I have a small pad lock that I put through the coupler to prevent thief. There is a hole right behind the coupler on the bottom on both sides that you can put a padlock through. If you find a coupler lock, it will go all the way through the frame.

Sorry to hijack the post but I have a 99 640Lx as well and I can store it in my 2 car with no swing away, but the prior house I lived in (2 car garage) and it wasnt deep enough and I had to put it in there sideways. Once it was in the shallower garage there was no way to get another vehicle in the garage.
    My 99 has a 90hp on the back. I have a question about the hole-shot. I have a 4 blade 21 pitch prop and it is slow getting on plane...what can I do to get the boat up and at it quicker!? I talked to another guy and he said I should get a 19 pitch. My top end is (with just me and gear at 5000-5600 RPM) 43-45. With a partner and gear, sluggish getting out of the hole and top end goes to about 40mph. Any help would help. THanks guys
    Last edited by Coach_O; 05-17-2017 at 07:27 AM.
    '99 Nitro 640Lx
    '03 90hp Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedNitro View Post
    I have a 2001 640LX with a 75hp Mercury with recently installed a swing away. I barely fit it in a 20' storage unit with the motor down. I have a couple inches to spare and have exactly 24 inches of length after the swing away. Hope this helps.
    Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly, but it sounds like you're saying that the boat/motor/trailer is right at 20' overall length with the motor down and tongue extended. And then with the tongue folded into the "swing away" position, it only takes up 18' of garage space? 20' - 24" = 18'

Is my understanding correct? If so, that's awesome, and might give me some ideas...
    '08 Nitro 929 CDX - Mercury 225 Pro XS

10. Member
    Nope, that's 20' stored with the tongue folded. It's just under 22' with the tongue extended. The OP asked how long the boat is stored with a swing away...

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach_O View Post
    Sorry to hijack the post but I have a 99 640Lx as well and I can store it in my 2 car with no swing away, but the prior house I lived in (2 car garage) and it wasnt deep enough and I had to put it in there sideways. Once it was in the shallower garage there was no way to get another vehicle in the garage.
    My 99 has a 90hp on the back. I have a question about the hole-shot. I have a 4 blade 21 pitch prop and it is slow getting on plane...what can I do to get the boat up and at it quicker!? I talked to another guy and he said I should get a 19 pitch. My top end is (with just me and gear at 5000-5600 RPM) 43-45. With a partner and gear, sluggish getting out of the hole and top end goes to about 40mph. Any help would help. THanks guys
    My recommendation is to determine what you want. Holeshot or top end. The best I could say for both would be a 4 blade with PVS system. That's the only way I could be somewhat happy with mine. These boats just aren't powered enough to get out of their own way. If you want holeshot, drop down in pitch 1-2." I've learned to just accept mine with a 4 blade trophy plus with the medium PVS plugs which helped a lot. I run a 23p with a 75 hp 01 motor and i get about 44-46 in calm conditions on the gps. I've been told 90s should get you 48-50.

My recommendation is to determine what you want. Holeshot or top end. The best I could say for both would be a 4 blade with PVS system. That's the only way I could be somewhat happy with mine. These boats just aren't powered enough to get out of their own way. If you want holeshot, drop down in pitch 1-2." I've learned to just accept mine with a 4 blade trophy plus with the medium PVS plugs which helped a lot. I run a 23p with a 75 hp 01 motor and i get about 44-46 in calm conditions on the gps. I've been told 90s should get you 48-50.
    Thanks brother! With just me I can hit 50 but that is pushing beyond the max rpm's...I am not worried about speed, I am in Ohio and our lakes are nothing like those in the south. Lake Erie is a no go for me due to boat size and lack of real CB radio/Nav systems. Just not comfortable with that body of water and I have heard some horror stories with dudes in 21 foot bass boats with all the nav. and what not needed! Holeshot is what I am most concerned about...so I am guessing a 4 blade 19 pitch would get me up and going sooner.
    Thanks for all the help and to the OP it sucks storing in the garage sideways but it does keep the boat out of the elements and safer (depending on where you live) from thieves.
    '99 Nitro 640Lx
    '03 90hp Johnson

Nope, that's 20' stored with the tongue folded. It's just under 22' with the tongue extended. The OP asked how long the boat is stored with a swing away...
    Ah gotcha, thanks!
    '08 Nitro 929 CDX - Mercury 225 Pro XS

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Ah gotcha, thanks!
    I can see how it would be confusing as I re-read my original post.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach_O View Post
    Thanks brother! With just me I can hit 50 but that is pushing beyond the max rpm's...I am not worried about speed, I am in Ohio and our lakes are nothing like those in the south. Lake Erie is a no go for me due to boat size and lack of real CB radio/Nav systems. Just not comfortable with that body of water and I have heard some horror stories with dudes in 21 foot bass boats with all the nav. and what not needed! Holeshot is what I am most concerned about...so I am guessing a 4 blade 19 pitch would get me up and going sooner.
    Thanks for all the help and to the OP it sucks storing in the garage sideways but it does keep the boat out of the elements and safer (depending on where you live) from thieves.
    Just be careful about dropping in pitch if you are already pushing beyond max rpm. The lower pitch will raise rpms apprx 100-200 for every 1" drop in pitch. What 4 blade prop are you currently running? I would suggest a Trophy Plus with round PVS system as I believe this will significantly help out hole shot without having to drop in pitch. The other option is to get a used hydraulic 6" jackplate.

The 640's are definitely not made for big water. I used to fish Lake Marion in SC and I couldn't cross the lake on a choppy day. I learned to just get back to the ramp and drive to the next place.
    Last edited by WarpedNitro; 05-20-2017 at 12:36 AM.

Just be careful about dropping in pitch if you are already pushing beyond max rpm. The lower pitch will raise rpms apprx 100-200 for every 1" drop in pitch. What 4 blade prop are you currently running? I would suggest a Trophy Plus with round PVS system as I believe this will significantly help out hole shot without having to drop in pitch. The other option is to get a used hydraulic 6" jackplate.

The 640's are definitely not made for big water. I used to fish Lake Marion in SC and I couldn't cross the lake on a choppy day. I learned to just get back to the ramp and drive to the next place.
    I'll have to look again on the type of Prop. I am almost positive it is a 4 blade renegade prop 21" pitch.
    I am not familiar with the PVS system so that will be new for me, if I can even get a new prop this season. I am going to look at possibly trading the one I have for a new or used one. It is not that big a deal with just me in the boat but I am planning on a couple tourneys this year with a buddy and father...with two of us in the boat (mind you both people in the boat weigh between 225-250 so it is a significant addition of weight). Maybe I'll try to find a 4 blade trophy Plus...6 inch jackplate is probably out of the picture for me. Will the Trophy Plus go or fit on the 90 hp Johnson I have?
    Thanks for the advice brother.
    '99 Nitro 640Lx
    '03 90hp Johnson