Chickahominy Help

My son is out for spring break this week and decided he wanted to go to the Chick for a few days instead of Buggs this year. I fished the place once over 10 years ago so I don't know much about it. I have decent mapping and plan to take my time trying to learn where to run. Any info on how to fish the tide or safety concerns is greatly appreciated. We are extremely excited and hear it is a great fishery. Thanks in advance.

2. team stratos
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    My son is out for spring break this week and decided he wanted to go to the Chick for a few days instead of Buggs this year. I fished the place once over 10 years ago so I don't know much about it. I have decent mapping and plan to take my time trying to learn where to run. Any info on how to fish the tide or safety concerns is greatly appreciated. We are extremely excited and hear it is a great fishery. Thanks in advance.

3. Member
    If you haven't fished it in awhile, I'd recommend taking it slow and watch your depth finder and stay out of Buzzards Bay. Haven't been out there for a few weeks, but if the grass is starting to come in, I'd probably start there or look for structure along the banks.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

4. Member
    I saw your post yesterday but I do not fish the chick much. but since no one will help you out I will do the best I can. The best tide is outgoing the last half of outgoing and the first 1/4 of incoming. Some fish are spawning but I doubt most are. Look on a map for diaschund (don't know exactly how to spell it) that is a great creek. As far as baits I would guess texas rigged worms red/blk and blue/ black. Shakey head, Spinnerbaits (chartruse and white). Hope that helps.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

5. Member
    check out Va-outdoors.com there is a section dedicated to the Chick River, and generally the people there are a little more helpful than the folks over this way

6. Member
    How far up Diascund can you safely go at a normal low tide? As far as the rail road bridge? Further?
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

7. Member
    Can go way past the train tracks under the gas pipeline and quite a way past that. Watch under the trestle as there are piling on the left going in. You will see them on low tide.

8. Member
    cool, thanks much. Looks like you could spend a nice afternoon exploring in there. appreciate it.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp