Side imaging overlay

Can you map an area with side imaging and save it for future use with any Garmin units ?

i don't want to have to go out and remap an area every time searching for timber and dont want to use waypoints.

2. Member
    If I'm on the same page as you, then YES you can record sv on your micro sd card. Playing it back in Homeport is less than satisfactory however. At least it was for me. You can look at your trail and see where you are. As far as re-playing these recordings on your unit, it's not something I explored. I don't know if it is possible, or if you would be able to determine location, etc. That's a CS, Todd, TroyBoy. Leonard, Larry etc question. Not a TeeDee one. You'll get an answer soon.

3. Member
    I am guessing he wants to do something like this Lowrance structure map? How accurate would these maps really be now that I know how sidescan works and how inaccurate it is?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by puhlw View Post
    I am guessing he wants to do something like this Lowrance structure map? How accurate would these maps really be now that I know how sidescan works and how inaccurate it is?

I have a lowrance unit on my boat but am considering a Garmin for my Hobie kayak as I'm a Garmin fan boy for their fitness products (triathlete). I can put sidescan image overlays on my lowrance units as a raster picture and it is very accurate.

Just wondering if Garmin has this ability so I wouldn't have to create hundreds of structure waypoints.

5. Member
    It does look very useful if its not super accurate would get you pretty close. Probably more useful than the QuickDraw contours which takes forever to make a map and frankly seems to just make a mess of my map really.

6. Member
    Can you add your own raster images to the fish finder like you can with a garmin hand held?

7. Member
    Read my SonarTRX posts.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skid00skid00 View Post
    Read my SonarTRX posts.
    Read sle. Posts and checked the product website , no mention of Garmin to be able to use the output

9. Member
    Anybody hear of Garmin adding this in the future?

10. Member
    As far as I know, Garmin does not do anything like what Lowrance does with those raster images. You can save images to view from the sd card, but they will not overlay on the chart and you cant use them to navigate.

You could try trying using QuickDraw - but I havnt seen anything like that level of detail from QuickDraw on any of my scans or anyone else's. Things like brush, timber, rock piles etc just dont show up at all on QuickDraw. Even large features like ledges, holes etc are hard to capture.

You are stuck using waypoints as far as I know.

SonarTRX works fine with Garmin now but thats only for use on a PC.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....