How to Carpet a Coin Box?

I am building a coin box for my RT188 and have reached the point of applying carpet on everything but the lid. Now I am stumped. Do I use adhesive or staples? The box is made from cutting board material and it accepts staples very well. How do you work the corners? Sure could use some advise from you guys that have done this.

Attached Images Attached Images

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

2. Banned
    So why not use adhesive on the lid and staple the edges underneath? This should help

3. Member
    Take it to a carpet place they will probably do it for nothing. But remember if you are using staples use stainless. Are you making it waterproof?

Thanks Guys - This is helpful. Yes I am trying to make it water proof. I used silicone on the all the external joints and I have some rubber seals that will fit under the lid. I have a slam latch to hold the lid closed against the rubber seals.

I plan to use a carbon fiber adhesive film on the lid. Just want a different look from the all carpet appearance of the Basscat coin box. I also have an adhesive rubber step pad for a portion of the lid.
    I am making a template to cut the carpet to and was hoping to wrap it in one piece and staple it on the bottom. Can't figure out how to handle the corners.
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 04-18-2017 at 07:47 PM.

5. Member
    Nice looking project.

6. Member
    Great job

7. Member
    Wrap the sides with the seam in the back, and use adhesive

Bill get a can of contact cement. Cut your carpet to fit. Take a cheap 2 inch paint brush and apply the glue. Then apply the contact cement to the corresponding piece of carpet. Let sit for a few moments then apply the carpet to the box. Then continue doing the rest of the box following the same procedures. No staples will be needed.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 Optimax, Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 19P
    Minn Kota 70b Thrust Maxxum
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Lowrance Elite 7 TI (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS7 GEN 3 Touch (Console)
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

9. Member
    ill buy one of you can make another one

Well the box is finished, but I need to remake the lid from some heavier material and something that will have better adhesion properties. I heated the lid and wiped it with alcohol like I saw on utube but the carbon fiber material still did not stick well and it warped.
    To apply the carpet, I made a template from poster board, cut the carpet and stapled it in place starting from inside the the cut out.
    If I were doing this again, I would not use this material again, it is not strong enough and will not accept adhesive. I think using the cutting board was a mistake but the marine HPDE would probably be OK but I would not use anything thinner than 3/4.
    Update - I fished today and the sun tightened up the loose spots in the carbon fiber. It looks OK now but the warp is still noticeable.

11. Member
    I wish I had the fabrication skills to make one out of diamondplate. I would then put a thick rubber mat on top. Every time I think about doing something I realize that I have 3 in the boat from time to time and decide to keep the seat.

12. Member
    I took the folding bracket off of my middle seat. The back part wedges nicely between the seat and back deck and the top is flush with the back deck. Easier to step up now and still comfortable when you're on your knees culling. Still a good place to sit for a third if necessary. Doesn't interfere access to under seat storage.