Possible Transom Problems

I have a few questions for you guys that seem to be pretty knowledgeable in this area. I have a 200 Cobra 201 with a Merc 225. I have noticed a few things since I purchased the boat 4 years ago. In the bilge area, the 2 lower motor mounting bolts are sunk into the transom a pretty good ways. There are multiple stress cracks in the splashwell but I can't tell exactly how bad because there is a black mat covering the cracks. The top 2 mounting bolts go through a plate that spans between the 2 bolts. The ends of the plate appear to be indented into the gelcoat. And lastly, there is a metal trim piece that covers the top edge between the cap and hull at the transom that is showing signs that one end has some flex in it.
    I had some repairs done last year after I hit a stump. The shop checked the transom while I was standing there. He tilted the motor up and pressed down on the motor with his body weight. He said it had minimal flex. But nothing he would worry about.
    With the finds I described, all of which were present last year, should I be looking at a new transom in the near future?

2. Member
    most definatly!
    sounds like the transom wood is going mush!

3. Member
    Unfortunately sounds like rot. The transom should have absolutely zero flex/movement.

4. Member
    Unfortunately yes those are the signs of a soft transom and as you will find the older Cobras do seem to have their fair share of transom issues. I have a good friend with the same model boat as you and his transom has gelcoat cracks that visibly flex when weight is applied to the motor. Your options here are pretty limited as your transom is getting to the point of being dangerous to operate with. You could sell the boat as is and hopefully take the moral high road and tell the seller what issues the boat has or you can have the transom replaced. You'd be looking at a cost of 1500 to 2000 depending on the extent of the rot and unfortunately if the transom is bad there are good chances your stringers are well on their way to being rotted as well. No way to tell unfortunately without removing the top cap to check. Best of luck with this.

5. Member
    I would use it until it gets too bad to run anymore. Any flex at all is bad but replacing the transom is an expensive job and you will not get your money out of the repair. Find a used boat with a good transom and a bad motor and you can save some money.

6. Member
    Get hold of totalbeverage. He just did the transom on a Cobra 190.

Link here: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=799227

7. Member
    no way id use that boat with a 225 hanging on the back