Thread: SI vs DI

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebassletter View Post
    cool. Are there any fish in the picture?
    Here's one that shows fish on the beds a little better. The white dots on those beds are fish. Sometimes there's one, other times there are two near the bed.

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 5.51.26 PM by s s, on Flickr
    My blog. If you like reading about fishing and hunting, there's something here for you:

http://southernoutdoorsman.blogspot.com

This is shellcrackers on beds:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    cool! thanks.

4. Member
    I wouldn't care if my 998 or 999 lost DI. SI however is one of the greatest fishing tools I have ever used.
    2007 Ranger188vs, Mercury optimax 150

5. Member
    Those images of fish on beds are Great! I never even considered seeing that on si. Definitely be watching for it this spring hunting for smallmouth on Saginaw bay.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowabass3826 View Post
    I wouldn't care if my 998 or 999 lost DI. SI however is one of the greatest fishing tools I have ever used.
    absolutely. i feel privileged to use it

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    This is shellcrackers on beds:

What is a "shellcracker?"

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

Quote Originally Posted by champ93 View Post
    What is a "shellcracker?"
    Another name for a redear sunfish.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Another name for a redear sunfish.
    If those shellcrackers were not on beds, would u still have seen them ? Its just hard to see smaller fish on SI against the background of very similar colors if u use amber. I set up my fish ID today as per your other posts, and hope it will give me another tool. The shadows I see can, in my opinion, be only fish. I don't have that much experience, and appreciate your help in learning this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by RPM View Post
    If those shellcrackers were not on beds, would u still have seen them ? Its just hard to see smaller fish on SI against the background of very similar colors if u use amber. I set up my fish ID today as per your other posts, and hope it will give me another tool. The shadows I see can, in my opinion, be only fish. I don't have that much experience, and appreciate your help in learning this.
    FishID will not show them on 2D---too small to qualify for the symbols.

To see fish, you need a darker background so the lighter fish will not be blended in with the bottom--lower the Sensitivity setting. Most of the Imaging colors are monochrome so everything is the same color, just different intensities of that color. Amber is monochrome.

See the bass on the lower left side?

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

This screen shot has several trolling motor rotations, but you can clearly see the fish and their shadows with the dark background:

This is crappie on a rockpile:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Member
    Do you have your chart speed high when this image was taken? Things look stretched out.

FishID will not show them on 2D---too small to qualify for the symbols.

To see fish, you need a darker background so the lighter fish will not be blended in with the bottom--lower the Sensitivity setting. Most of the Imaging colors are monochrome so everything is the same color, just different intensities of that color. Amber is monochrome.

See the bass on the lower left side?

Quote Originally Posted by Ladr6 View Post
    Do you have your chart speed high when this image was taken? Things look stretched out.
    Not much may have been set to 4 or 5. The light area on the right side is shoreline weeds.
    This was at an electric only lake using a bow mounted unit with transducer on the trolling motor, and when fishing I would be using speed 1, when scanning I would increase the chart speed to close to the GPS speed.

I turned the trolling motor twice that caused some breaks in the image.

I took this screen shot at this SI Range setting to demo the shallow coverage on the way back to the ramp.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    Yes I have a Gen 1 si on a Helix 9. Yesterday after installing a HD transducer I am now sold on SI. The HD was many times better than the junk The hummer folks put in the OEM box. Your problem will be as I saw yesterday on a fish attractor location. When I had the non HD transducer I never saw anything using either di or si. Yesterday the HD SI saw clearly the brush pile 30-40 ft away from the bouy where it was supposed to be. We fished it two previous times and zippo however we were off by quite a distance.

15. Member
    My experience fishing bedding fish is that they quite often sit right off the bed. In this photo you can see the bed depression AND quite a few fish looking objects to me right beside at the edge of the bed. My guess is FISH.

Quote Originally Posted by coontie57 View Post
    Yes I have a Gen 1 si on a Helix 9. Yesterday after installing a HD transducer I am now sold on SI. The HD was many times better than the junk The hummer folks put in the OEM box. Your problem will be as I saw yesterday on a fish attractor location. When I had the non HD transducer I never saw anything using either di or si. Yesterday the HD SI saw clearly the brush pile 30-40 ft away from the bouy where it was supposed to be. We fished it two previous times and zippo however we were off by quite a distance.
    When I had a 798ci SI Combo, I used the Compact SI transducer on the transom and HDSI transducer on the trolling motor. Had a mount at the console and bow so I could use the unit at either place.

This is beds, bass, and bluegills with the Compact SI transducer. I know some were bass since I caught several of them.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

17. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    When I had a 798ci SI Combo, I used the Compact SI transducer on the transom and HDSI transducer on the trolling motor. Had a mount at the console and bow so I could use the unit at either place.

This is beds, bass, and bluegills with the Compact SI transducer. I know some were bass since I caught several of them.

And the 640 vertical pixels is what made that combo so deadly and able to discern targets a lesser display resolution just cannot muster.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12