Another Air Compressor Question.

Year: 2000
    Motor: Optimax 200 HP
    Serial #: 0T075663

Ok, beating a dead horse again. After doing more reading on these compressors and getting valuable input from BBC members, I decided to call Mercury Marine. I spoke to a rep about my situation and stated I wanted to try to confirm what I read about the compressor being "upgraded" in 2011. She put me on hold and spoke to "a person that would know". When she came back online, she advised that indeed the compressor had been upgraded/ re-designed. Would not tell me what exactly was done thought. LOL. She did advise me to ask my local dealer about bulletin 2011-14 which I cannot find online and she gave me a "new" part number (8M0060052) that is referenced in the bulletin as the "new upgraded compressor" for my motor. She advised that this is a different part number that is given in the Mercury Parts Web and contained additional hoses/ parts to make this one fit my motor. The newest compressor part number shown for my motor on Mercury Parts website indicates part # 8M0063279. UGH.

I did a search and both part numbers do come up and appear to be correct for my motor. The part number from Mercury (8M0060052) does appear to come with an additional parts kit with hose.

Can anyone confirm any of this information? Did they give me the correct part #? Is the "new" compressor indeed upgraded?

Thanks again!
    James

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Either would work. The 8M0060052 is the later-design compressor.

Changes WERE made, with the biggest ones in the crank-bearings (within the endcap). That being said, there is one VERY important question to ask:

IS YOUR CURRENT COMPRESSOR BAD/FAILED?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor