Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sportsman II Power Poles?

I have a 19' 6" Triton TR196 bass boat. I would like power poles and am wondering if the Sportsman II series would be aright for my boat? Anyone else using the Sportsman II on a bigger bass boat? What are the difference between the Sportsman II and the Pro series? I am trying to save $600 on the set, but will I regret it?
    Ohio Bass Fishing with Edgar VanHoose
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/EdgarVanHoose

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Only a 400.00 difference between the (2) models through us if that helps you make the decision.

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Id be happy to go over the differences in models with you.

4. Member
    I am interested also, I'm waiting on the tax return before I pull the plug, still trying to decide between the Power Poles and Talons, and quite possibly the Ulterra TM.

5. Member
    For only $400 more I'd go Pro series. But how much more are the blades than the Pro series?

Money grows on trees, right?

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    350 more to go with the bladesvs the pro series II if going w us

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Feel free to text me anytime w your POWERPOLE questions.

8. Member
    Whats the biggest difference between the sportsmen, pro series, and blades?? Are the sportsmens meant for lighter boats like aluminum and blades more for the heavier fiberglass boats??

Sorry for all the questions but Im just starting to look into them, thought it was one of those things that I would never want when they first came out but over time my opinion has changed quite a bit!!

9. Member
    honestly and 8 ft pole is an 8 ft pole. They have a slight different design, might be faster to deply, might be quieter but they all hold the same and work the same when deployed.

10. Member
    I may be the oddball here. I have 1 sportsman and 1 pro series 2 on my boat. It is a 2006 stratos 285 pro xl and I can't see any real difference in them other than looks. They both deploy and retract the same. they have been on my boat for 3 years with zero problems with either one. They do what I need them to do, they hold my boat!!!

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bayouXpress View Post
    honestly and 8 ft pole is an 8 ft pole. They have a slight different design, might be faster to deply, might be quieter but they all hold the same and work the same when deployed.
    Blades have the strongest hold vs the other models. When you go from sportsman II to Pro series II you gain 2 extra years of warranty. Pumps are different from model to model.
    The Blades feature a larger bushing system at all of the pivot joints and they are a bit more rigid due to the slimmer u-channel design which also makes them more aerodynamic. They also have a larger diameter spike with a much larger Everflex mold over compared to the Pro or Sportsman. All of this combined will result in better control of a heavier load under extreme anchoring conditions.

The Blade models also have SoftClose, this slows the system down right before it is fully closes to reduce noise and vibration.

I have sportsmen II on my 20.5 ft basscat puma and I absolutely love them. I think the biggest "issue" (cosmetic issue) with the sportsmen II is the 1.0 model was anodized aluminum, which fades pretty quickly. I believe that is solved now with the 2.0 model being powder coated.

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny3Times View Post
    I have sportsmen II on my 20.5 ft basscat puma and I absolutely love them. I think the biggest "issue" (cosmetic issue) with the sportsmen II is the 1.0 model was anodized aluminum, which fades pretty quickly. I believe that is solved now with the 2.0 model being powder coated.
    Yes the 2017 sportsman II are now powdercoated.

14. Member
    All models are rated to hold 4500 pounds. So saying one is stronger than the other is nonsense. It is like do you need a stripped down boat or one with all the bells and whistles. Both will catch fish but one may look a little better. Sportsman II do a great job and the blade look better and have a softer close. Who cares if the spike is bigger, when it wears out pole will replace it.

Love my Sportsman IIs...had them just under a year and I know for sure they helped me win a few tournaments last year. I was also looking at Talons and for about $600 more than a single Talon, I was able to get a pair of the Sportsman IIs. Too, with my 18' boat, I didn't want to add that much weight to the transom. Adding the poles had zero impact on either my holeshot or my top speed.

I have been having issues with one of them and PP just sent me a replacement pump...we'll see how tough it is to swap it out without getting hosed in hydraulic fluid, but I'm impressed by their customer service. I was able to do a diagnostic through the app, email it to them and have a new pump by the end of the week.

As much as I might like the blades, I kind of like that I can partially deploy the wider Sportsman's and they'll slow my drift. I'm guessing that the Blades don't have as much drag in that situation...

I'm the kind of guy that would normally have some "top end model" envy from the point of view of my "bottom end model" budget, but I honestly don't feel that way at all...if I were buying new again, I'd probably still get the Sportsman's and put the difference toward some accessories...big buttons foot switches (which I have and are awesome), covers, drift paddles, etc...
    2019 Bass Cat Caracal, Mercury 225 Pro XS 4 stroke

For Northern IN/Southern MI action and BCB love, follow me on instagram: @professorbeard

16. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rnorman35 View Post
    All models are rated to hold 4500 pounds. So saying one is stronger than the other is nonsense. It is like do you need a stripped down boat or one with all the bells and whistles. Both will catch fish but one may look a little better. Sportsman II do a great job and the blade look better and have a softer close. Who cares if the spike is bigger, when it wears out pole will replace it.
    yes you are correct they are all rated to hold up to 4500Lbs, I did not say one was "stronger then another" The blade has the strongest hold, the pro 2 the next strongest hold followed by the sportsman (FACT) not nonsense..The Blades do feature a larger bushing system at all of the pivot joints and they are indeed a bit more rigid due to the slimmer u-channel design which also makes them more aerodynamic. They blade indeed does have a larger diameter spike with a much larger Everflex mold over compared to the Pro II or Sportsman II. All of this combined will result in better control of a heavier load under extreme anchoring conditions. FACT. a customer just has to choose what model fits his budget and needs the best. at the end of the day your placing a pole in the bottom to hold your position.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 04-24-2017 at 03:54 PM.

17. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator

18. Scraps
    I can tell you I ordered the PIIs on a new boat, had changed them to Blades with the dealer but when I picked up the boat, the PIIs were on there. I took the boat. I sort of regret it. Only issue for me is that the Blades look sooooo much cooler than the Roman candles.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

19. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    I can tell you I ordered the PIIs on a new boat, had changed them to Blades with the dealer but when I picked up the boat, the PIIs were on there. I took the boat. I sort of regret it. Only issue for me is that the Blades look sooooo much cooler than the Roman candles.

20. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    It snot funny!!!
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast