Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Ultrex steering frozen foot pedal

Ultrex 112/45 Yesterday when I got to the lake and deployed the TM I was unable to change directions with the foot pedal. This was the second time this has happened to me. The other control buttons on the foot pedal work correctly, but I cannot change directions, the foot pedal is frozen in place. Fortunately the remote worked for changing directions.

I contacted Minn Kota and was told I might have a loose connection, and suggest I try this procedure. Don't know if it works yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Probably it Sir. When I indexed my motor, I didn't get it plugged back together correctly the first time and no power. Took it back apart and pushed connectors till it locked into place and put back together........................works fine. This motor is badd azz..............................RR

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

3. Member
    I forgot to mention, this was not my maiden voyage. I installed the unit in January, and this is probably my 15th trip with this trolling motor.

4. Member
    Mine lands today

5. Member
    Mine also froze up. My 3rd trip out my whole pedal wouldn't move. First trip out the momentary switch stayed on constant. Sent it back to minn kota. The next ultrex they sent me momentary switch stuck on also. I used the remote to fish.
    I was told that there are pedal sensors that can go bad. Minn kota wanted mine back.

6. Member
    So this is the second problem I have had with my Ultrex, both issues related to the foot pedal.
    Problem #1 - momentary switch on pedal malfunctioning. The symptoms any of the following a) the motor/prop starts running by itself b) the motor/prop wont run at all when pressing the momenary button
    Problem #2 - the foot pedal freezes. The symptom includes the inability to change directions with the foot pedal. You are still able to change direction with the remote.

7. Member
    I adjusted the momentary switch on both my ultrexs to kinda fix. The magnet under pedal is very sensitive to where it sits. Seems to be a bad design. My first momentary switch would work sometimes in intermittent. The second momentary switch would stay on at times, motor would run away. One magnet was low and other was to high. Havent took back out on lake to see if my adjustment is a fix. Nice trolling motor when it works.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billproxs View Post
    I adjusted the momentary switch on both my ultrexs to kinda fix. The magnet under pedal is very sensitive to where it sits. Seems to be a bad design. My first momentary switch would work sometimes in intermittent. The second momentary switch would stay on at times, motor would run away. One magnet was low and other was to high. Havent took back out on lake to see if my adjustment is a fix. Nice trolling motor when it works.
    I tend to agree its a bad design. The magnets position is so critical to proper function. If it is set properly the unit works as intended, but I too had to adjust mine and was unsuccessful in finding the sweet spot for proper operation. And besides, after paying $2200 I didn't like the fact that it was on me to fix it, so i returned it. But now I carry a dentists pick in my boat, the one with the 90degree bend, so if it happens again I can adjust it.

9. Member
    can anyone show a picture of how to adjust it?

10. Member
    Remove the momentary switch by pressing in on clip below switch,while holding in on switch clip, pull up on momentary plastic switch and remove. Under switch you will see a spring. Remove spring. You'll see the small cylinder shaped magnet under pedal. You can rotate this magnet(housing)from under pedal so the long slot shows encasing the magnet. You can use a very small standard screw driver to very lightly and easy appling upward pressure on magnet with 2 small wires coming from it. If magnet needs to go down simply apply slight down ward perssure from above pedal. This adjustment is almost nothing.Theres a very fine line to find the magnet sweet spot. It wont take much adjustment at all in any direction.

11. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    pics please?
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

12. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    How can you steer the motor with the remote if the pedal does not move?? If I remember correctly the pedal moves with the direction while using the remote as well as the spotlock??
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

13. Member
    There are sensors under pedal. Either they arent working properly or theres a connection problem in head wiring area.

14. Member
    Hi guys;

Some days ago I could see a video on youtube ( here is the link ) on its possible to see an ultrex pedal inside of "normal" comfortroll. I think this recessed foot pedal is an original comfortroll ( I asked to the video author but I haven't had any answer...)

What do you thinkż?

Regards

15. Member
    That is an original Comfortroll. The new ones are square on the back.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Leeder View Post
    That is an original Comfortroll. The new ones are square on the back.
    Yes John but people said that in those rounded comfortroll the ultrex pedal doesn't fit in and as you can see at the video there is a rounded comfortroll...

17. Member
    Here is a pic of the magnetic switch. The part that you adjust is a very small cylindrical rod, it is located with a cylindrical housing that has a slot on one side. The location is on the underside of the pedal, right below the momentary on/off button. Adjustments are made by moving the cylindrical magnet either up or down with the housing. Small adjustments, like 1 mm at a time. Once you do it, carry your tools on the boat in case you are out on hte water.

18. Member
    Update: I unplugged/replugged the connection from the foot pedal, per the instructions from MK that I showed at the beginning of this thread, no improvement. I contacted MK today and they are sending a replacement unit.

19. Member
    They also sent me a replacement ultrex to for frozen pedal. The replacement ultrex also had a switch problem on pedal. Ive adjusted momentary switch again. Have to lake test it now to see if adjustement worked. If it doesnt minn kota wants me to send it back again. Thats great custmer service, but wow, thats alot of r/r of pulling and replacing each ultrex. They for sure have big problems with pedal sensors and the magnet type momentary switch. Hope they get it figured out.
    Great news for u then.
    Goodluck

20. Member
    I normally wait at least a year on new product releases because there are usually bugs that need to be worked out, but due to necessity I had to ignore my own rule. If I had to do it again I would still have bought it, it is so friggin awesome.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast