Electronics Interface

Hey can someone help me out? I have had Lowrance HDS 8 gen 2 on my boat for several years with no problems at all. Now, the last few times I went out, every time I move with the troll motor, my screen gets interference. It puts a line from top to bottom on the graph and it remains there. As long as I hold the troll button, it continues to have the interference. Any suggestions or solutions?
    Thank you.

2. Member
    Have you added any type of electronics to you boat such as Bluewaters, or NEMA anything like that? Lines could be touching and back feed. You can get some filters at radio shack and put them on you power cord that can help and make sure your electrical lines are not bunched together. You can also adjust your sensitivity on you Lowrance unit. Hope this helps.

3. Member
    Adjust the sensitivity

4. Member
    Have you rerouted any wires or moved anything? You can try to turn up the noise filter

Try adding a fused wire from the Negative lead of the trolling motor to the Negative lead of the HDS. Worked on mine !
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

6. Member
    The only thing I did was put a new on board charger.

7. Member
    Thanks. Will try.

8. Member
    My guess is Moisture intrusion.
    Have a Humminbird 898 that started doing the exact same thing, Full interference when on the trolling motor.

Sensitivity changes didn't fix anything so I swapped the bow and console headunits and the interference stopped so I knew the problem was internal to that headunit.
    Have been dealing with it for a while now.

Then it started loosing bottom, now the screen changes colors, not the selectable colors but a light shade of blue or green over the whole screen.

Time for a new unit for me as its not worth repairing.

9. Member
    Thanks everyone.

Had this happen on an old boat. The Transducer cable had a spot caused by the cable tie when they rigged the boat.
    Replaced the transducer and the issue was gone for good.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun523 View Post
    The only thing I did was put a new on board charger.
    Remove the fuses in the charger leads going to the batteries and see if the interference goes away. Some chargers have been known to introduce interference by creating a connection between the trolling and starting battery grounds.
    Last edited by Lowerider58; 04-19-2017 at 09:23 PM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    Remove the fuses in the charger leads going to the batteries and see if the interference goes away. Some chargers have been known to introduce by creating a connection between the trolling and starting battery grounds.
    What lowerider said. New part and something changed. Remove the new part from the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    Remove the fuses in the charger leads going to the batteries and see if the interference goes away. Some chargers have been known to introduce by creating a connection between the trolling and starting battery grounds.
    On this note: you don't have it hooked up to a trolling motor battery, do you? I'm not sure why an issue with this would be suddenly be exacerbated by adding a charger, though having it hooked up to a trolling motor battery is a surefire way to introduce interference. If it is hooked up to a trolling battery, move it to the cranking battery.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

14. Member
    Could be from something in your trolling motor lower unit starting to wear out or your prop vibrating. I was having issues with interferrence on my bird at the bow. I added a ferrite ring and choke filters that bird sent me. It fixed it for a while, then it started coming back intermittently. I put a new prop on my troller and now it is perfect again. Sounds crazy, but it worked for me.

15. Member
    Thanks again everyone!

16. Banned
    When I got my Lowrance units, I had some similar problems to what you describe. I called Lowrance, and we did a hard reboot. It fixed everything just fine. I don't remember how to do it, I'd have to call them again. It's been almost four years now.... I think. Good luck... oh and mine was a Lowrance HDS Gen 2 Touch.

Good luck,

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by friogatto View Post
    My guess is Moisture intrusion.
    Have a Humminbird 898 that started doing the exact same thing, Full interference when on the trolling motor.

Sensitivity changes didn't fix anything so I swapped the bow and console headunits and the interference stopped so I knew the problem was internal to that headunit.
    Have been dealing with it for a while now.

Then it started loosing bottom, now the screen changes colors, not the selectable colors but a light shade of blue or green over the whole screen.

Time for a new unit for me as its not worth repairing.

17. Member
    Mine was fine also then all the sudden Interference no clue why can't figure it out. Added grounds unhooked charger. Still there.
    2016 f250 diesel
    2013 phoenix 920xp
    250 pro xs
    pb 9.72