Connecting a trolling motor to a depth finder

I have an hds up front and just ordered an xi5. Can someone explain to me the benefits of connecting the two. What is the purpose? Thanks.

2. Member
    Some troll motors are GPS enabled and can steer or spot lock using the GPS from a graph,I don't know about the xi5. Some graph interference can be helped by a common ground from the TM to the boats ground. Other than these,I don't know of any reason to connect a graph to the TM. You should not wire a graph to the TM batteries if that is what you are asking.If this doesn't answer your question,then please be more specific.

3. Member
    The gateway allows you to tell the tm to go to a cursor in the map. It also has several patterns that you can use to troll in zigzag patterns or lazy s turns following a route. If you actually troll lures it could be very useful. General bass fishing it is kind of neat and I tell it to go to a cursor occasionally but it is definitely not a must have.

4. Member
    I have HDS 7 gen 2 touch units and will be installing a xi5 with gps pinpoint. I know they are compatible, I am just not sure what connecting them brings to the table. Thanks.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    The gateway allows you to tell the tm to go to a cursor in the map. It also has several patterns that you can use to troll in zigzag patterns or lazy s turns following a route. If you actually troll lures it could be very useful. General bass fishing it is kind of neat and I tell it to go to a cursor occasionally but it is definitely not a must have.
    But if I am fishing Toledo bend which is full of stumps then manually going to waypoint may be better, right? Just got trying to determine if I should connect them. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    But if I am fishing Toledo bend which is full of stumps then manually going to waypoint may be better, right? Just got trying to determine if I should connect them. Thanks.

The thing is you can get close then get your rods out, re tie , eat a sandwich . What ever.
    You can be driving and looking at you side scan. Find something you like. Touch the screen where you want to go. Hit go to cursor and your automatically brought to that spot.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

7. Member
    I understand that but will it hit every stump on its way? Not trying to be difficult, just trying to decide if it is something I want to do.

ETA: are you saying it will put me closer to waypoint than I could do manually? I could drive to get close then tell it to find the waypoint?

Obviously if you just point it in a Stumpfield it's going to hit something .
    You have to use some common sense. It's not auto driving.
    I'm not saying it can get you closer than you can do manually.
    What I'm telling you is while your looking for you spot.
    I'll be eating a sandwich letting my trolling motor find it for me.
    It will however find a waypoint faster than you because you just hit go to and it goes and anchors there.
    It's all the type of fishing you do.
    Anthrax

If all you do is fish Stumpfields it probably won't help you.
    If you want to fish the rest of the lake it will come in handy.
    Anthrax

10. Member
    Thanks. I am just trying to understand this stuff. My normal fishing is running to the bank fishing 3 foot of water.

Try going on YouTube and typing in motorguide xi5 and gatway or something like that.
    You Should be able to watch some videos and get a pretty good idea.
    Anthrax