Praying Charger Bass Boat HELP

I have been given a charger bass boat model 170v that I think is an '89. It has a Evinrude xp150 OB with VRO. The previous owner misplaced the keys so I purchased a Sierra MP 41000 ignition switch with new keys. I believe I connected everything correctly but have nothing cranking when I turn the key. Safety lanyard is on...battery is connected...nothing. There is a key operated switch on the console by the steering wheel but again...I don't have a key for that. Is that some sort of cut of? I don't have any power to the console when I turn the ignition key either. I'm kinda at a loss. I'm wonder if anyone here could help me diagnose before I have to pay $95 an hour to get it looked at. Thanks!

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    That key by the dash is for the electronics, Pumps, lights etc.
    Check your engine fuses or post on the Evinrude forum board below.

Nothing on the boat side that would cause this. You will need the other key to turn on the lights etc. You can put in a simple toggle switch there or a simple on/off key switch.

Best of luck
    Last edited by Hickory Legend; 04-18-2017 at 06:55 AM.

3. Member
    Sorry to hear that. Hope you can get it fixed.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If you look closely at the ignition switch there are two very small numbers stamped on the end of it. You may need a magnifying glass to see the digits but that is your key code. Any Johnson/Evinrude dealer will have the replacement keys. As far as your no nothing condition. Remove the engine cover and look near the starter. There is a 20 AMP fuse in an inline holder. It is about 3/8" long.

5. Banned
    ^+1 and if you touched the wires together while you were changing the switch it blew the fuse. I learned that lesson the hard way.

6. Member
    you didnt mention if anything alse was working like trim on the motor and shifter handle that could tell you if the power is getting to the shifter or just to the motor. if just the motor i would suggest checking power at the switch to be sure it is working correctly not every switch works with ever system.if it is at the switch and the motor than i would check at the starter and alternator to make sure power is there as well ,if not check down the wire till you find where the power stops thats where the problem is . hope this helps