Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5fishon View Post

I've checked the coils they seem to be fine
    A bit vague....how did you test them? Odd that the shop would clean injectors without checking for another cause(s).
    How did the symptoms(lower RPMs) begin...suddenly or over a period of time?
    1999 Stratos 273 / '98 Johnson 150hp

2. Member
    Don, was I supposed to hook both them grounds to the 8mm bolt on the cdm the one on top we hooked to the coil plate where the other grounds were I didn't pick up rpm's but I did gain 7 mph I got 55.3 mph out of her

3. Member
    Suddenly but they would come back every now and then Im still only getting 4600 rpm's but gain 7-8 mph got 55mph out of her today

4. Member
    I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me with this issue hope maybe my findings will help someone else thanks everyone

5. Member
    StarcraftSS I bought a new coil and replaced one with the new one there was no change so I swapped out the next one and so on

6. Member
    Does it have a new fuel filter, What about your filter on the hp fuel pump inside the vst

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 5fishon View Post
    Suddenly but they would come back every now and then Im still only getting 4600 rpm's but gain 7-8 mph got 55mph out of her today
    First ground SHOULD have been on the coil PLATE where the other grounds attach.

Try a different tach. You're not getting 7 more MPH at the same RPM... I suspect that tachometer is not functioning properly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    First ground SHOULD have been on the coil PLATE where the other grounds attach.

Try a different tach. You're not getting 7 more MPH at the same RPM... I suspect that tachometer is not functioning properly.
    Don, just want to thank you for all the information and help you have given us on this matter very grateful

9. Banned
    Battery and charging voltage good?

10. Member
    I had a very similar issue with my 2000 225 EFI, poor holeshot and would only rev to around 4600-4800 RPM. After trying many things and rebuilding the entire fuel system, I checked the wiring under the flywheel to the stator and found that the wiring crimps had come apart (making poor contact) in the harness. I had spark on all 6 cylinders, but under a load it was just not enough. Repaired the wiring and it was good as new! It is worth a look if you have run out of things to look at, and certainly easier than pulling a powerhead. I am unsure if these crimps were factory or a repair made by the previous owner.

11. Member
    So was your problem solved for this top end power loss? If so, what was it?

12. Member
    No have not found the problem yet still searching all help is greatly appreciated last task was we took the flywheel off and checked the stator didn't find any bad or broken wires but a few seem to wiggle a tad not sure if that's normal or not I am wondering if it's not getting a good connection wouldn't think they should move at all with the 25 p prop I got back from Marks I did get 5000 rpm's @. 50 mph I'm about ready to give up on it to be honest I'm very happy with the prop that Marks did for me it's bad ass great bow lift he's the man to send your prop to if you want it done right

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Still using that same questionable tachometer?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Yes sir I believe it's working what I forgot to mention was I was running the prop I'd just got back from Mark's prop now I'm at 4800 @ 50 mph pulled flywheel and looked at stator a couple of the wires where they are attached to the stator move a little and the stator looked like it was rusty

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can you post a picture of the stator (questionable area)?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12