TRACKER GRIZZLY 1754 Setup help?

Buddy of mine just bought a new TRACKER GRIZZLY 1754 MVX SC, with a Merc 4stroke 60Hp.
    Can anyone give us any setup info, tips, props, Prop to pad...... for this boat?
    It seems to start porpoising when you get it trimmed up?

Thanks, Troy

Mount Motor in third hole down from top. And put a 14 pitch trophy sport 4 blade stainless steel prop on it. And she will fly

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

3. Member
    ???

What part

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

5. Member
    Was just wondering if anyone else had any more info.?

The Grizzly boat are heavier in the front than the PT's are. And without the step in the transom, there is less clean water going to the prop. So being a 1754 with a 60hp. Theirs not enough there to carry the bow high. It try's and looses bite and falls. This is why most of them are rigged with the motor so high. To have the hull run flat. So choosing a prop that will run high and like it. like the trophy sport is key. If the motor is not mounted in the third or fourth hole down from the top it needs to be. You will find that you cannot trim this combination out very far. Took the motor under to get on plane and then trim out not even a quarter of the trim range just to get to a neutral steering position. This will take away all your porpoising issues. Once you are in a neutral steering then work with your rpms. To get Motor height and prop size right. Most of the time a 14p. Will work, but if you go on a run very heavy 13 is probably what is needed. Hope this helps. I would've thought somebody else would've chimed in with their actual set up. Sorry, Glenn

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

7. Member
    Thanks, for the info Glen!!!

8. Member
    Glen this 60hp is a 4 stroke, and from what he's telling me it has a 12x22 pitch aluminum prop on it now.
    Does a 4 stroke make it any diff?
    He only had it out once, and says he getting about 5500RPM's out of it.

He is looking at the sticker on the lower unit gearing. Zoom in on this pic and you'll see what Iam talking about. Which means you can run a 12 up to a 22p prop depending on what type of boat it's on.

On the prop itself should be stamped the pitch. It's either a 13or 14p. With 5500 rpms he may have a 15p. But the techs are mostly off a couple hundred also. Best thing to do is get a Tiny Tech. eBay has some anywhere from 25-50 dollars. They are pretty accurate. Only trim to a neutral steering position, so it's not porpoising. And see where the RPMs are at. And see what hole the motor is mounted in on the mounting plate from the top down. There will be five holes. The ideal hole for this set up is the fourth. But it may be in the third also.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gatorglenn; 04-27-2017 at 02:20 AM.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

I suspect the motor came with a 15p 4 blade spitfire prop or a black max prop. With RPMS that low. If he dropped to a 13p spitfire, which is 10-1/2" instead of 10" in diameter. The holeshot will be greatly improved. And most of the porpoises would be gone. That would put him right at 6000 rpms. Working off the tech in the boat. The one boat I know with this setup. Is the same 1754 with the 60 4 stroke is running my old 14p spitfire. Only thing different is it's a tiller model. So no console and livewell up front.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

You can see this 40 is in the third hole down from top. But best is the 4th hole.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

12. Member
    Thanks, again!!! We'll keep you posted after next test, and tune day!!!

13. Member
    Hey STROKER10, any news on this new Grizzly 1754 set up? Got it lined out yet?

14. Member
    I have a Grizzly 1754. I just got rid of the 30 hp 4-stroke that it came with and bought a new 60 hp command thrust. Any suggestions on a prop for this new motor. I am really looking forward to it. The 30 hp that came on it never really ran good enough for that boat. Any help setting it up right would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

X7

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STROKER10 View Post
    Thanks, again!!! We'll keep you posted after next test, and tune day!!!
    Any chance of an update this much later?

17. Member
    I've driven a Tracker pro17 a fair bit, couldn't trim it up at all hardly without it porpoising. No idea what prop was on it, but a 50hp. That thing would slide sideways if you tried to turn it, quite fun if you like drifting, but not ideal.