Question Steering Systems

So my NFB cable steering went out on me this weekend. We were putting in at Adams on the spillway side and either my cables broke or the helm stripped. Turning the steering wheel does nothing to the engine, but I can grab the engine by hand and easily turn the engine.
    I'm leaning towards a new hydraulic system, but I'd like to hear yalls opinions.

Pros/cons? Brands?

2. Member
    Anything over 150 horsepower, I would go with hydraulic.

Bay Star or Sea Star... depends on HP rating.
    ​Justin Scott
    Rocket
    Yamaha SHO

Youtube channel... Please subscribe.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp7...VnHj2tQ4BvAaMw

4. Member
    My son's steering cable froze up....the guy he bought the boat from had just changed the steering cables 2 years before. He bought the Bay Star hydraulic steering by Teleflex. Rated up to 150 hp...and he has a 150 EFI Merc.

5. Member
    I have a 175 Evinrude. Sounds like I need the Sea Star system.
    I've looked at em online and I'm pretty good with mechanical and hydraulic things, so I'll just install it myself. Thanks for the tips.

6. Member
    I installed two myself. Not that hard. The second time, I crossed the hoses. Turn the wheel left and the motor would turn right. When you pull out the old cables, attach a piece of rope and pull that through. Use the rope to pull the new hoses through.

Neighbor has been raving over his power steering in his
    bullet. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet

20XDC / Promax

8. Banned
    I've got the Seastar hydraulic on mine it's pretty slick. Co-worker has the same rig with the Baystar and says it's sticky turning under power. Everything I've read says seastar for everything 150 on up

9. Member
    Steering is not a place to try to save $$. Get a good system or go back with cables.

10. Member
    I agree. I ordered the Sea Star System and hope to install it this weekend. I'm just glad it didn't break running fast with my wife or kids in the boat.

11. Member
    get the one won rated for bigger than your motor. Don't get the one for 150 and down. If I had a 135 maybe but even for 150 I would go with the better system

12. Member
    I did.
    I ordered the Sea Star which is exactly what's on our bayboat with a 250 Yamaha. I'm installing the new steering, new windshields, and a new Lowrance Hook 7 this weekend. I'm upgrading my 29 year old Ranger for sure...