Thread: Rpm question

Rpm question

Ok, so I have a 2014 Triton 19 XS with a 225 Pro XS torquemaster. I don't remember my Prop to pad but my jp is up all the way up (10"z lock).

Im running a stock 25 tempest +.

With full tournament load 2 people (me 210 and my partner 250ish), full wells and 1/2 tank im running 68.8 and 57k rpms. My h20 pressure is in the high 20s

Is this good rpms or shoukd I be turning more. I noticed at 60ish im only turning 5k. The RPMS see low for the speed.

What do yall think?

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

2. Member
    You should try to get closer to 6k

3. Banned
    Might need to raise the motor up 1 bolt hole on the plate to get more rpms?

4. Member
    shows +/- 11% slip, which is great with the load you're carrying. You could try raising the motor, but doubt it will get much better. IMO, you need to go to smaller pitch to increase RPMs for life of the motor. But the only numbers you should look at are speed/RPM @ WOT with normal load

I had a 24 temptest and I spun the prop to fast. Seems the 25 is the cats meow. I may need it worked a little. Hole shot is great with little to no bow rise. My rooster tail is about at my motor maybe a lill higher at low speeds

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

6. Member
    Talk to Mark about a B&B on the prop or at least work it to factory spec. and you should gain a few mph and some rpm's even loaded that heavy. Your showing about 14% slip and the B&B will bring it down a little.

So I went out a few days ago by myself and I was running 70 somthing before I had to shut it down due to other boat traffic with my 25 tempest + at 5704. The weather was about 58°with water Temps about 72.

So I'm thinking with my partner who weights 260 per him I need a 24.

My question is would another person cause that much RPM loss as previously post above?

8. Banned
    Same rpms as what you originally posted???

Do you still have the 24? If not, I have one you can try... lol

My bad 5804. Yea i still have 24. If I were smart id would have put the 24 on. I love the 25 in cooler water. As the water is warming up im losing RPMs

10. Banned
    I've read people say 300rpms per 1" pitch. If that holds true then you'll over spin the 24 alone and be just right with your bud.

Or just leave it alone. Or have a prop guy work it. Or.....

Yea that makes sense. If my memory serves me correctly I did over spend the 24 by myself

12. Member
    200 rpm's per inch of pitch up or down. Before you worry about over revving the prop load the boat down with two guys and water and see what it does. It looks like that prop could use some work by Mark too.

I ran the 24 tempest + yesrday alone loaded a fueled up. I turned 6010 RPMs at 68mph still climbing before i had to shut it down due to approaching a bridge.

I ran the same prop today with my 260lb partner and i was turning 58 to 59 rmps at 66 maxed out.

I like the RPMs but the prob has no lift.

The 25 lifts my boat up like its on rails to where it almost "fish tails" when getting off the throttle from full speed. I think my Triton likes to run high.

I think the reason i spun the 24 to fast at first was the water was in the 50s and now its int he 80s. Im thinking the 24 will ne a summer prop and the 25 my winter prop.

Is there any way to make a 24 lift my boat the way a 25 does?
    Last edited by Tim W; 05-08-2017 at 07:58 PM.

14. Banned
    Have Croxton work it, write down all the info you can remember about the run.

I run a 25" Tempest plus in cooler weathe a 24" 4 blade Trophy in warm weather. Just had motor rebuilt and still doing break in. Builder used forged Pistons (don't ask me why) so breaking takes 10 hrs and I'm in the 6 th hour. I have run on plane speed with bursts to 4500 rpm for 1-2 minutes then back down to plane speed then stop and let motor cool down and start the procedure all over again. Had some knee problems so kind of put a kink in getting on the water for a few weeks.
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

What speeds were you see with both props