Need help fellas...Church camping fishing trip

I am helping to plan a boys/mens fishing trip with our church up here in northern KY. We usually end up at Laurel Lake and for the past few years it has been dismal fishing. There are a few criteria we need:

1. Camp ground close to lake
    2. Pontoon boat rentals (2, maybe 3 pontoons)
    3. Fish that can be caught from a pontoon by inexperienced fisherman

90% of the guys that go are not experienced fisherman and will be fishing from a pontoon using worms, minnows, corn and who knows what else. The reason we picked Laurel last few years is due to the fact that trout can be caught just dropping a line over the side by just about anyone, the problem is noone caught much of anything, even at night. I don't think bass fishing would go over very well on an overloaded pontoon with 8 guys slinging rapalas, trying to the emergency room visits to a minimum. I have been racking my brains trying to come up with good spot to take these guys. Suggestions please
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

2. Banned
    It depends on what time of year, but one idea would be to go to the campground at Kenlake. There are pontoons available at the marina. Rig up a bunch of jugs (or floats) with two to six feet of line, add hooks and minnows, carry a long handled net on each boat and have at it.

3. Member
    Holmes bend marina. Green river lake

4. Banned
    Having dealt with kids in the past fishing, my advice would be to keep their attention spans in mind. I've found that even though it's fun for kids to catch fish on rod and reel, it's a totally different experience for them with jug fishing. I'd take it even one step further and let them build the jugs or noodles prior to going out, you'll probably end up with some with neat decorations on them and even a competition seeing who's catches the first one.

As Chief Paduke said, time of year can make all the difference.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Paduke View Post
    It depends on what time of year, but one idea would be to go to the campground at Kenlake. There are pontoons available at the marina. Rig up a bunch of jugs (or floats) with two to six feet of line, add hooks and minnows, carry a long handled net on each boat and have at it.
    Great idea!

6. Member
    That is a pretty good idea! We are planning on the weekend around May 18th. I have never been to Green River Lake. How is the fishing? I am asking for myself since I'm taking my bassboat, I'll let the heathens fight it out on the pontoons...
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

7. Banned
    Mother's Day is usually when the catfish spawn is on and they feed like crazy, so May 18th would be a good time.

8. Member
    I imagine any lake would produce using jug lines, is there a possibility of catching other species using minnows on jugs? trout, walleye etc.. I don't know the laws regarding jug lines other than having a name and address on them, but is any fish caught fair game as long as it is legal?
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bnt55 View Post
    I imagine any lake would produce using jug lines, is there a possibility of catching other species using minnows on jugs? trout, walleye etc.. I don't know the laws regarding jug lines other than having a name and address on them, but is any fish caught fair game as long as it is legal?
    Any fish caught on a jug is fair game. There's a maximum allowance of 50 jugs per boat.

You might catch fish other than catfish on a jug, but it's rare.

10. Member
    Looks like we are going to laurel lake....again.....For some reason I can't seem to catch a darn thing over there. I will be making up a bunch of noodles for the pontoons to go out and set. I'll be bass fishing during the day and maybe walleye fishing in the evening with a couple of boys, I'm hoping I can put them on some fish but my track record on that lake is dismal.
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI