Triton 18 explorer jackplate

I am getting a manual jackplate 6" installed soon along with a single powerpole. What kind of gains should I expect over stock? My boat has a 115 opti and runs close to 50 @ 5800 rpm. Just focused on the jackplate improvement responses.

thanks

2. Member
    You will possibly lose performance....adding the pole will cancel out any gain the jackplate provided.

3. Member
    Adding plate 2-3 but adding pole minus 1.

I have a 2008 - 18 explorer with the 115 opti and gained about 2 mph (went from 47 to 49) when I added a 6" plate to it. I added it to improve my hole shot more than gain speed. I'm running a 22 pitch Laser 2 and it's a dog out of the hole with full wells added a foil after the plate, helped a little but still slow to get up.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident-01 View Post
    I have a 2008 - 18 explorer with the 115 opti and gained about 2 mph (went from 47 to 49) when I added a 6" plate to it. I added it to improve my hole shot more than gain speed. I'm running a 22 pitch Laser 2 and it's a dog out of the hole with full wells added a foil after the plate, helped a little but still slow to get up.
    I have the 2008 Explorer with the same set up. I bought a 6" jack plate but haven't tried to install it yet because it looks like the steering cables might not be long enough. Did you have any problems with your install? Mine was a dog on hole shots too until I moved my trolling motor batteries from the stern to the bow compartment. A lot of folks said the batteries should remain in the stern and I should adjust the hole shot with the PVS plugs on the prop, but it worked and now has a decent hole shot and it got even better with two of the PVS plugs out. I'm hoping the jack plate will add a few mph.
    04 Sea Pro SV2100cc w/ Suzuki DF150
    02 Scout 162 Sportfisher w/ Yamaha 60

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaPro Admin View Post
    I have the 2008 Explorer with the same set up. I bought a 6" jack plate but haven't tried to install it yet because it looks like the steering cables might not be long enough. Did you have any problems with your install? Mine was a dog on hole shots too until I moved my trolling motor batteries from the stern to the bow compartment. A lot of folks said the batteries should remain in the stern and I should adjust the hole shot with the PVS plugs on the prop, but it worked and now has a decent hole shot and it got even better with two of the PVS plugs out. I'm hoping the jack plate will add a few mph.
    Batteries in the front KILLS speed, so don't expect to see gains in MPH with a jackplate. Faster holeshots, and top speed are with the weight in the stern, boat set-up 101.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Batteries in the front KILLS speed, so don't expect to see gains in MPH with a jackplate. Faster holeshots, and top speed are with the weight in the stern, boat set-up 101.
    Boat set-up 101 must apply strictly to bass boats since the batteries in a majority of bay boats are located center console and forward. I guess missed that class while attending proper weight distribution 101. Trim compensates for the additional forward weight and it didn't lose any mph but I'm still experimenting and if I find another way to improve the hole shot I'll probably move the batteries back to the stern but only because it's easier to access them back there .

8. Member
    Your boat Sir, but it will be faster with the weight in the stern because you don't want the motors power to be wasted trying to lift the bow. The less wetted surface of the hull in the water means a increase in speed......more 101.

I'm not going to give a basic boating class here but your 101 is missing the point. Google proper Weight distribution, and Center of Buoyancy.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaPro Admin View Post
    I never considered moving them to the front, I have considered getting lithium batteries to replace the lead-acid that would eliminate +/-120 lbs. from the back but I can't make myself spend that much for batteries. Probably gonna be selling it and getting a new one at the end of the year. Other than the holeshot issues it's been a great boat.