New Boat checklist?

Wondering what the fine folks at BBC recommend that every bass boat have on it. My short list currently is :

2 extra PDF's
    1 Throwable
    1 fire extingusher
    tool box
    small anchor
    dock rope
    small paddle
    TP
    sunscreen
    spare truck key
    tournament items (cull tags/weigh bag/cull beam/measuring board)
    spare trolling motor prop pin
    Spare prop and all the trimmings
    Flare gun (I will be trying my hand at Lake St. Clair and I believe I need this)

I know I'm probably forgetting something,

2. Member
    Spare sunglasses, hat, spark plugs. Some sort of waterproof box for phone, etc. when on the lake. Looks like you have everything else covered from what I can see.

2022 21PHX

Previous boats:
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP
    2000 Triton TR186

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoney View Post
    Spare sunglasses, hat, spark plugs. Some sort of waterproof box for phone, etc. when on the lake. Looks like you have everything else covered from what I can see.
    I should say this is a new USED boat to me, so anything related to older boats as well.

I need to work on the glasses and hat, I have a giant head and hats and glasses are mythical creatures which only exist in fairy tales as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for the reminder of plugs and a dry box sir!

4. Member
    agree with the extra sunglasses and hats. Guests sometimes forget, especially if you are launching while it's still dark. I always keep an extra set of clothes.

5. Member
    Rain gear ,1st aid kit. Short pair jumper cables. Whitsle or air horn. If you night fish some glow sticks.attached to pdfs

toilet paper
    SeaArk ZX200DC Mercury 115 FourStroke

7. Member
    I always have some wet wipes and band aids. Also spare sumglasses for guests for sure. I use small rubbermaid bins in the passenger side rear compartment. I can fit 2 medium sized ones in there. So thats where i store my tools, extra glasses, bandaids, wipes, gloves, battery tester and on and on. I wouldnt dunk em, but for the most part those little bins are waterproof for me.

Quote Originally Posted by repdept View Post
    toilet paper

US and Canada have different requirements. If your fishing st Clair and crossing to Canada. Make sure you understand their rules (e.g. 6 flares).

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Here is the list I came up with last year of LSC required safety gear and recommended gear if anyone searches and needs a consolidated list.

Boat requirements for LSC:
    • Flares – 3 handheld red flares for us, 6 for Ontario: type A, B, or C
    • Whistle
    • Air Horn
    • Life jackets for each passenger
    • Throw-able life preserver (buoyant cushion suffices) – for Ontario must be attached to a buoyant line at least 15 m (49’3”) long
    • Fire Extinguisher (One (1) 5BC fire extinguisher)
    • Watertight flashlight (Must be marked with an indication that it meets U S Coast Guard requirements in 46 CFR 161 01 – required in Ontario waters)
    • For Ontario - One (1) manual propelling device OR One (1) anchor and at least 15 m (49’3”) of cable, rope or chain in any combination

Additional items recommended:
    • First aid kit
    • Toolkit – prop wrench, Cotter pins, misc. tools, electricians tape, crescent wrench, pliers, vice grips, zip ties, wire stripper / cutter, crimp connectors, volt meter,
    • Jumper cables
    • Spare portable bilge pump with battery clips
    • Spare live well pump
    • Extra fuses
    • Paddle
    • Spare boat plug
    • Spare prop/nut/thrust-washer/shear pins (TM and main prop?)
    • Backup rain gear
    • Drift sock
    • Duct tape
    • Dock lines
    • Fenders

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    Here is the list I came up with last year of LSC required safety gear and recommended gear if anyone searches and needs a consolidated list.

Boat requirements for LSC:
    • Flares – 3 handheld red flares for us, 6 for Ontario: type A, B, or C
    • Whistle
    • Air Horn
    • Life jackets for each passenger
    • Throw-able life preserver (buoyant cushion suffices) – for Ontario must be attached to a buoyant line at least 15 m (49’3”) long
    • Fire Extinguisher (One (1) 5BC fire extinguisher)
    • Watertight flashlight (Must be marked with an indication that it meets U S Coast Guard requirements in 46 CFR 161 01 – required in Ontario waters)
    • For Ontario - One (1) manual propelling device OR One (1) anchor and at least 15 m (49’3”) of cable, rope or chain in any combination

Additional items recommended:
    • First aid kit
    • Toolkit – prop wrench, Cotter pins, misc. tools, electricians tape, crescent wrench, pliers, vice grips, zip ties, wire stripper / cutter, crimp connectors, volt meter,
    • Jumper cables
    • Spare portable bilge pump with battery clips
    • Spare live well pump
    • Extra fuses
    • Paddle
    • Spare boat plug
    • Spare prop/nut/thrust-washer/shear pins (TM and main prop?)
    • Backup rain gear
    • Drift sock
    • Duct tape
    • Dock lines
    • Fenders
    Thanks Dan, my boat is an old 18 1/2 foot so I will be keeping my butt on the US side of St. Clair I do not plan on more than 1-2 trips out there this year but everything listed I will try to find a way to stuff into my little boat.

12. Banned
    spare running light for front & back (if you do not have the LED's in the front), mini fuses, a couple of water bottles, cell phone charger, tape, misc bolts, nuts that fit on battery terminals, first aid kit, JUMPER CABLES, extra pull cord for trolling motor (or just buy one of the red pull cables and replace the one you have on there now, you'll never have to worry about it again) a prop hub kit & TOOL for replacing hub on prop.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glfgd82 View Post
    I should say this is a new USED boat to me, so anything related to older boats as well.

I need to work on the glasses and hat, I have a giant head and hats and glasses are mythical creatures which only exist in fairy tales as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for the reminder of plugs and a dry box sir!
    the giant noggin struggle is real. Check out Fatheadz.com for oversized glasses and sunglasses.

14. Member
    Agree with all that has been mentioned. Great list Hollada, I have most of that in my boat..

The important ones for me
    vhf radio, cell phone
    spare transom plugs, one in the boat, and one in the truck
    spare keys for the truck in the boat
    spare keys for the boat in the truck
    I have a 5-7 prong adapter for the trailer, keep a spare one of those in case some dipst steals mine while I'm on the water.
    sunblock
    toilet paper, and a bucket to use it in if I cant wait.
    and if you fish alone, do you have a way to get back in the boat if you fall out? Try is sometime when it's NOT an emergency..

And let someone know where you're going. I fish several waters, and the wife knows which one I'll be on, just in case...

Everything seems to be covered. The only thing not listed that I keep on mine is a 9mm.
    04 Sea Pro SV2100cc w/ Suzuki DF150
    02 Scout 162 Sportfisher w/ Yamaha 60

Quote Originally Posted by glfgd82 View Post
    Thanks Dan, my boat is an old 18 1/2 foot so I will be keeping my butt on the US side of St. Clair I do not plan on more than 1-2 trips out there this year but everything listed I will try to find a way to stuff into my little boat.
    I have a 187 Elite Champion. I have most everything listed on here. I put stuff in different places. You'll find room for the stuff.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaPro Admin View Post
    Everything seems to be covered. The only thing not listed that I keep on mine is a 9mm.
    Me too.

The best advice I would givethe OP is this:
    -Wear your PFD (esp when big motor is running)
    -Always wear KILL SWITCH when running at speed
    -Mount your fire extinguisher toward front of boat (fires obv are likely to occur near or at the stern)
    -Be organized...and KNOW where everything is on your boat. In an emergency, you don't have time to rummage around looking for something.
    -Waterproof case for phone and ALWAYS HAVE PHONE ON YOUR PERSON.
    - Make sure your nav lights are working...and use them ANY time that visibility is limited (darkness, stormy/rain weather, high waves)

When fishing alone...make sure to let someone know where you'll be. If you own a smartphone...you can send them your gps location thru Google maps etc

I have an extendable boat hook. Don't forget a net. Sunscreen. Some soap to wash it off
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

19. Member
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a portable removable ladder for my 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL?