Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My first Phoenix

bought my first Phoenix 2 weeks a go a new 2017 721 Pro XP Mercury 250 Optimax pro xs 3 blade 25 fury p2p 3 1/4 10" manual jack plate no power poles

It run 67 mph at 5600 rpms it will go faster but starts chine walking at about 65 mph. I have read just about every post on here about phoenix boats none of them say anything about phoenix boats having issues with chine walking. Just wondering at what speed does everyone else start having chine walk or have to start driving the boat.

That sounds about right. Best thing to do is find someone who has a little more seat time and can show you how to drive it. Time behind the wheel will help, trust me. They will walk, especially when carrying a light load. After a short time you'll not even notice it anymore.
    Joe Hall
    Lake City, MN
    Phoenix 721
    XP/ 250 Pro XS

Congrats

There are posts all over here about people and their birds walking. It isn't an issue like you say. You just need some seat time to learn to drive it. Most all of them do it except if set up perfectly. Keep at it. You'll get it.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

4. Member
    I also have a 1999 stratos 21 ss extreme with a 2008 250 etec it runs 75 mph (gps) its a lighter boat it don't start walking till I hit 70 mph. I can drive it , I sure hope its just a matter of learning to drive this Phoenix, it chine walks real bad when trying to go straight but not as bad as long as I'm turning slightly right the stratos was just the opposite that could be why I'm having trouble it just comes natural to me to bump the steering to the left when I should be bumping the steering wheel to the right with the phoenix.

5. Member
    Your set up sounds pretty close but you shouldn't start walking till a hair over 70 and if it's really good you can get to mid 70s before it starts. I would get that prop worked by croxton or steves and that will help it a bunch. Another tip is I hear from guys around here that a 26 fury walks less than the 25 and is faster

Every high performance boat out there will walk. Triton Phoenix basscat and I'm sure there's more I can't think of. The only way to truely fix chine is learning to drive the boat. There is no magical plate height or prop. It's all in the driver. Also there are hundreds of threads on phoenix chine walk out there.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

You should still have to bump the steering wheel to the left.......
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by vausoner View Post
    You should still have to bump the steering wheel to the left.......
    yep to the left little bumps and holds until you get too far which is probaly 1/4 turn of the wheel then you will need to work your way back to the right a touch here and there as the boat try's to "fall" off the other side of the pad. That's what you are doing is balancing on the pad.

MLF Invitationals Angler

9. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Left, Left. less trim
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

10. Member
    Seat time, seat time! Any bass boat that will run close to 80 will chine walk.

Bump down trim a little as you get used to bumping the wheel. As you fell more comfortable, bump the trim up and continue. If she gets away from you, bump down and try again.

Congrats on the rig!!

Great point Hank. I've seen many come out of "R" boats that will compound the problem trying to drive it at high speeds. What you just described is a baby step and will really help.
    Joe Hall
    Lake City, MN
    Phoenix 721
    XP/ 250 Pro XS

I totally agree with hank as well. The biggest issue guys have is that they trim up way too fast and the boat keeps getting out of control before they even realize to try and correct it. Let the boat plateau at 65 then bump the trim. Then plateau again. Then bump. And repeat. Then when the boat gets squirrelly trim down and restart. That's how I learned.

MLF Invitationals Angler

Repeated

MLF Invitationals Angler

15. Member
    they do not like trim... trim way less than most other boats. get on pad and bump up

16. Member
    Check your prop to pad. Mine was set at 4.25 from the plant and it was scary. I moved it to 3.5 and need to got to 3.25 . Now I am learning to drive.

17. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by REELWORLD42 View Post
    I also have a 1999 stratos 21 ss extreme with a 2008 250 etec it runs 75 mph (gps) its a lighter boat it don't start walking till I hit 70 mph. I can drive it , I sure hope its just a matter of learning to drive this Phoenix, it chine walks real bad when trying to go straight but not as bad as long as I'm turning slightly right the stratos was just the opposite that could be why I'm having trouble it just comes natural to me to bump the steering to the left when I should be bumping the steering wheel to the right with the phoenix.
    Seems the issue of needing to bump steering to the right during chine is a set-up problem...Let me explain what I went through...
    I added 2" additional setback on my 921 and after that I had the same issue of needing to bump steering to the right when it chined. Before the additional setback, I needed to bump steering left to control chine.

Here's what I figured out, the additional setback made my motor set lower in the water, which caused the problem of needing to bump steering to right during chine (which was super awkward).
    I raised jackplate (hydro) until steering had more torque to the left and the problem was solved. I was back to controlling chine by bumping steering left, and running trim as high as before I added setback. Now I have 1-3 mph gain, depending on prop.
    Sorry, but no p2p measurement, due to having a hydro JP.
    So you may possibly need to raise your JP to get your chine control back to "left bump steering". Just my .02

You may be over trimming the motor. The birds run flat and if you bring the nose up to high, they'll walk. I've ran my 721 over a mile at 73 mph and didn't touch the steering wheel. Would recommend you start with lower trim and bring it up a little at a time until you get comfortable with it. When it starts feeling a little loose, follow Hanks advise.

BTW: most of these guys are not recommending you try to continue driving through a chinewalk, but rather are giving you advise on how to bump the wheel to get it under control. If your chine starts getting bad. Back off the throttle and try again.

A hydraulic jackplate is worth the $ and allows you to raise the motor instead of trimming it as much. Once you get comfortable with that 721, you'll love it.
    Last edited by nikldac; 04-20-2017 at 11:37 AM.

19. Member
    I tested a 4 blade fury 25 pitch yesterday , it made a lot of difference in the handling came out of the whole great with 2 people (400lbs) and half tank of gas did not start chine walking till I hit 70 mph at 5660 rpm. Could have went faster but my wife was the passenger .the torque turning to the left was 75% less than the torque turning to the left with the 3 blade 25 fury.

20. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nikldac View Post

BTW: most of these guys are not recommending you try to continue driving through a chinewalk, but rather are giving you advise on how to bump the wheel to get it under control. If your chine starts getting bad. Back off the throttle and try again.
    nikldac's advice is correct, but I would like to add...
    Do not panic and let off of throttle a lot, or boat could sway to the point of feeling out of control.
    Trim down and ease off throttle at same time. Then resume speed & trim for another go at it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast