Transducer installation - poor boat design, poor service center work

Hey guys,

I bought a brand new Z18 from my Cary, NC BassPro this last November. Had my BassPro service center install a new Lowrance system w/transducer on the boat.

The 6th trip out, my transducer FELL off (at full speed), hit the boat, motor housing and landed on the back deck of the boat. Got home, took a look, thinking I could screw it back on...no luck...so I called my BassPro and took the boat in for repairs. All they did was fill the holes with caulking and add a third screw.

Went out yesterday had a nice day on the water and when I returned home...to wash my boat I noticed the transducer at an odd angle on the boat...so I got down to take a look. All three screw are loose and the transducer moves up/down with no effort.

I really HATE to take my boat back to BassPro (they don't know what their doing)...was wondering if any of you know of an epoxy type product that I can put into the holes and screw into to properly hold the transducer?

Really sucks that the poor design on the Nitro Z18...you would think they would put something in the most common areas for mounting transducers...something for screws to bite into.

I'm open for suggestions...PLEASE, I don't want this transducer to fall off AGAIN!!!!

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Last edited by theflyguy; 04-17-2017 at 08:39 AM.

2. Member

This is what I used on my Z18 and all my other boats. If done correctly it will never come off and if it does they will send you a new one. There is a mini version that should cover the existing holes already made by BPS.
    2001 Champion 206, Yamaha 250 V-Max hpdi
    1997 Nitro Savage 884, Mercury150 XR6, 8" Slidemaster Jack Plate

3. Member
    I moved my transducer on my Z-7. I drilled the holes, filled them with 5200 and put the screws in. Haven't had a problem with mine.

I don't think its a poor design, more like a poor installation.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    I agree with Bryan (poor installation) I'm guessing they probably used a screw gun and over tightened the screws and stripped them. If it was mine I would try to use the next larger screw size and put some kind of marine epoxy or marine silicone on them.
    My 2 cents worth.
    Keith Thomas
    2016 Nitro Z21
    Mercury 250 ProXS

6. Member
    My trolling motor went bad, blames the boat manufacturer....usually how it goes!

Plenty of guys have transducers mounted on the transom on Nitro's with no issues. Take it somewhere else!

Can you post pictures of there installation and post them?
    What kind of transducer are we talking about?

Design has nothing to do with the installation. I have a 2011 Z7 bought new and never had a problem with the transducer.

8. Member
    There are 2 threads going on, here is the other.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....t=#post8331482

I would like to see pics of this screw up by the installer!

9. Member
    This thread is a jinx!!! I've never had a transducer come off a boat before, but I read this post last night and then took my aluminum boat out today and the first time I got on plane my transducer banged around and got tossed up on my transom!! Mine snapped at the bracket hinge and I have a spare, so no biggie. Just thought it was spooky that the first time it ever happened was less than 24 hours after reading about this.
    2015 Nitro Z9
    Mercury Optimax 250
    Lowrance Ghost
    Dual Lowrance HDS9 Live bow
    Dual Lowrance HDS9 Live console
    Lowrance Active Target
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blade

If u have the disaster get the transducer plate.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

I used the stern saver on the transom of my ZV 21 with great results, Good sonar pic up, and adhesion is 100%. No screw holes n the transom. I am going to add another on this year. I never let anyone touch my hull with anything sharp