Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Driving an xb2003

New owner here, about halfway through break in on rebuilt 225 promax. Driving this boat from 0-50 is so easy. 50 and up on the other hand is a beast at best. I know it will get better with more seat time and better set up. I guess I'm just not used to driving a light boat.

congrats on the New Boat, Getting her up to speed is half the battle slowing down is the other half You just need plenty of seat time,,,but Once you learn she is a Blast to drive,,,

Where do you normally run?
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

The saying is " they are really easy to drive, once you know how".Stick with it, took me 10 trips before I could run wot with a 225 without walking it

5. Member
    Don't try to learn at WOT gets to hairy to quickly hard to learn that way.

Get up to your comfortable speed, what ever that is and try to bump it up 5mph when comfortable with that another 5 etc

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet02 View Post
    Where do you normally run?
    Norris lake.

7. Member
    Is there anyone around who is an experienced Allison driver? You can save a lot of time by riding with someone who knows how to prevent chine walk. Some tips if you are by yourself:
    1. Balance boat side to side and front to back.
    2. Make sure your steering is tight and that there is no slop in your steering.
    3. Put some water in your live wells.
    4. Drive boat up to speed that you are comfortable with, adjust trim, and put boat in a slight left-hand turn. Get comfortable with that speed.
    5. Try to get boat on the pad. If the chine walk is too bad, slow down and try again.
    6. When the boat is on the pad, DO NOT suddenly let off the gas. Trim down and gently ease off the gas.
    7. Be careful, the speed will come.
    8. ALWAYS WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKET and USE YOUR KILL SWITCH.

8. Member
    enjoy the learning process. I wish I could forget and do it all over again. So much fun

As for learning to drive tips the best I can give you is balance the boat, dont over trim and focus ahead of you on the horizon or something in the distance, that will allow you to feel or sense the boat begin to fall off pad and let you correct it with a small bump of the wheel before it starts chine walking. Most bumps will be to the left due to prop torque and resist over steering or bumping the wheel too much as it will induce chine walk if your timing is off when on the pad.

10. Member
    There are a couple guys with Allys on Norris. Shouldn't be hard to get a few free lessons.
    I am not too far away from there.

11. Member
    One other bit of advice. Don't take the wife. Pick a nice day without much wind. I couldn't learn until I went by myself one day and dedicated that day to learning. I ran it up till it was walking bad, slowed down and repeat. Finally it clicked and I really couldn't explain the difference.

12. Member
    Get it up on that sweet spot... Hammer on it :)

13. Member
    I think I was over correcting but I'm not sure, just have to get back on the water and try again.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    I think I was over correcting but I'm not sure, just have to get back on the water and try again.
    You probably were. Slight corrections before the boat starts to move. Otherwise you get behind and can never get caught up on your corrections.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    More than likely the 2003 likes very small left bumps. Much smaller than say you would on a triton etc

16. Member
    Also make sure you are balanced left to right, how you are running. Out of balance can be impossible to learn. Use a level across the deck while you are set to run, and move weight accordingly.

Load that dude down with as much weight as you can. Multiple people, Full Live Well, Fuel gas tank. Make sure its balanced and go hammer down! As you learn to drive remove weight a little at a time.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    Load that dude down with as much weight as you can. Multiple people, Full Live Well, Fuel gas tank. Make sure its balanced and go hammer down! As you learn to drive remove weight a little at a time.
    Try to load it down with people you don't like, that way when they are thrown out while you are learning to drive it, you won't care as much.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    Also make sure you are balanced left to right, how you are running. Out of balance can be impossible to learn. Use a level across the deck while you are set to run, and move weight accordingly.
    your saying check this while the boat is floating. I ask because I cant seem to drive through this as well. the boat from my seat seems level but I could be wrong

20. Member
    Check it afloat at rest and running on pad about 25 mph.

A stick on RV level bought just about anywhere is good enough to reference.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast