Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scj View Post
    You don't check prop to pad height at full trim.
    Pad level and prop shaft level is when you measure prop to pad height.

You really need to get with someone that can give you a few basics before you throw yourself out of the boat............
    Agree 100% and make sure the floor that you are measuring to is also level.

2. Member
    I've never checked prop to pad, never needed/wanted or cared to know what it was. I learned to drive my hydrasport past the chine walking and gained 10 mph top end speed. I know this boat is different than the hydrasport but the steering corrections should be similar, I say again similar, not the same but similar. And I won't be doing any w.o.t until I can "drive" the boat.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    I've never checked prop to pad, never needed/wanted or cared to know what it was. I learned to drive my hydrasport past the chine walking and gained 10 mph top end speed. I know this boat is different than the hydrasport but the steering corrections should be similar, I say again similar, not the same but similar. And I won't be doing any w.o.t until I can "drive" the boat.
    What hydrosport? I can't remember exactly which hull number we had but it was 17.5 or 18' , the corrections required on it were larger than on my 03, my 03 liked very very small left bumps or just slight left pressure, trying to use bigger left bumps like i had always been used to it was always a bear to drive.

My buddy drove it one time with me in the passenger seat to see if my set up was on point and when I watched him I saw how little he moved left in the bumps. Jumped in the driver seat and it was on a string from there on out.

Best at thing you could ever do is let an experienced ally driver drive and watch.

they drive like no other boat period.

4. Member
    I had an LS 175, I agree with you on the smaller corrections but I have to drive it again to see. If it ever quits raining that is.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    What hydrosport? I can't remember exactly which hull number we had but it was 17.5 or 18' , the corrections required on it were larger than on my 03, my 03 liked very very small left bumps or just slight left pressure, trying to use bigger left bumps like i had always been used to it was always a bear to drive.

My buddy drove it one time with me in the passenger seat to see if my set up was on point and when I watched him I saw how little he moved left in the bumps. Jumped in the driver seat and it was on a string from there on out.

Best at thing you could ever do is let an experienced ally driver drive and watch.

they drive like no other boat period.
    Agreed! When I was learning I asked many questions.
    allyfishimg was a HUGE help in my setup, and it took me about 6 trips to figure it out. He came out with me once to help dial in my sonar, and that afternoon after watching him pilot my rig, I went back out and when I looked over at the tach I was well past my previous "chine" spot and cruising at 80. I will say this, everyone said it will just happen and you will not be able to figure out how or why you couldn't fly it before. That is 100% true. It'll happen and you'll love it!! Balanced boat and seat time= flying your ally! Good luck and be safe.

I don't think you'll be out there anytime soon, lake is at 1022 and forecast to go over 1028!
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

7. Member
    I'm still in break in, I had to send my ecu back to get worked on. Got up to 71 yesterday. When I first started driving this boat 55 was scary. Now 55-65 ain't bad at all. It seems that I still don't know how to drive it but I'm getting better/faster. The way I was running yesterday was driver in the center, passenger in the left rear, rear fishing seat on the right side along with a soft cooler and some water's. Two trolling batteries in the center box and the starter in the right. Tackle in both rear boxes and the front one too. I know this probably isn't how it's gonna stay it's just what I'm starting out with.

8. Member
    If center steer put passenger center rear,
    driver in side steer passenger in back left rear.

9. Member
    The boat will drive it's worse from 60-75ish. That's where the tri steps hooks on the very rear are bouncing back and forth from side to side. More speed than that they are completely out the water so boat will take better set. As far as driving, think of pressure. Keep constant pressure on the wheel to the left. When you have to make a steering correction, ease some pressure off by turning to the right then immediately put it back on to the left. If you turn right and wait for the boat to tell you something it's too late. You ease pressure off then put it right back on .
    Chad St. Pierre
    Paulina LA 70763

10. Member
    I think this is true. I got 73.1 yesterday and had to slow down because I ran out of clean water. Everything was happening fast but it seemed a lot easier to drive at 70 than 65.

11. Member
    The corrections that catfish speaks of are very small wheel movements. Don't over compensate. Once you feel it and figure it out you won't look back :)

12. Member
    ... Just Hammer On It.

13. Member
    I have had the allison hydraulic steering installed and it seems to have helped a little. Today I picked up my 25° trophy plus from east tn propeller. It had the tip of one blade bent and 3 blades were way off. Hopefully this will be the "missing link" that helps me learn this boat.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    I have had the allison hydraulic steering installed and it seems to have helped a little. Today I picked up my 25° trophy plus from east tn propeller. It had the tip of one blade bent and 3 blades were way off. Hopefully this will be the "missing link" that helps me learn this boat.
    Tom... As everyone says... It will just come... Just be confident in your skills and don't drive beyond your confidence or skills... I would suggest starting and stopping many times to play with the trim and or jackplate if you have a hydraulic plate. Before you know it you will be going smoothly and hardly doing anything. With me and my XB21 i probably have maybe 15 or 20 hours tops... I've run 88.2 with a 28 Promax.... I can say there were times i got frustrated lol but then i just went.. I purposely spent time in the 65-70 range where she seems hard to drive to help me learn how it feels. I think that was key for me... The second thing i would say is just stopping and starting again... Learning how she feels.. You're learning whether you know it or not!! Before you know it you will be intentionally taking corners that you'll be thankful you have bucket seats lol

Stay safe and enjoy!!

Dan

15. Member
    Did the Prop Fix your problem ?

16. Member
    I haven't got to run it yet. It will be the weekend or next week before I can. My fingers are crossed though.

17. Member
    You are in Tennessee. There are hundreds of allison owners in tennesse. One hour with one of them is worth months of on your own.

Its like learning to ride a bike. If the "barrel roll" feel start while you are at speed, just kill the throttle. When it sits flat, just get right back in it full tilt. Keep your engine neutral on trim and just get some seat time. It will come.

19. Member
    Instantly killing the throttle cannot be a good thing correct?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTGSXR View Post
    Instantly killing the throttle cannot be a good thing correct?
    You are correct!..............................

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast