Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ILbassin View Post
    Well I'm seeing how much I'll lose on trade in for a Z18 and 518C. If it's bad, I'll try a hydraulic micro and let everyone know for sure. I'll probably have to mount my talon directly to the transom if I get a jack plate since I only have one and not sure an adapter plate mount will work on a micro version.
    instead of a trade in I think you would be better served selling your boat outright.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 Optimax, Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 19P
    Minn Kota 70b Thrust Maxxum
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Lowrance Elite 7 TI (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS7 GEN 3 Touch (Console)
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

2. Member
    I think I would move.
    2016 Ranger RT178 white
    75 4S Merc, VesselView Mobile
    Simrad Go7, Baystar hydro, SpitFire X7 17p

So going with a hydraulic micro jacker.........on a RT178. Had to order he boat so hopefully I'll have it in a month.

So going with a hydraulic micro jacker.........on a RT178. Had to order the boat so hopefully I'll have it in a month.
    Nice... Put up some pics when you get.
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

5. Member
    So going with a hydraulic micro jacker.........on a RT178. Had to order he boat so hopefully I'll have it in a month.
    What engine did you get on it? I'm sure you'll be happy. I have never heard of anyone with that boat being disappointed.

Went with the same underpowered 25 ETEC as I have now. The new one came with an 8 year warranty though. Got all these horsepower restricted lakes in the area that are great bass lakes and don't allow speed boats. If I leave them I'll have a glass rig for big water. Game plan is to have a tin rig for the restricted small lakes and a glass rig for the big lakes in the area....one day maybe....

Went with the same underpowered 25 ETEC as I have now. The new one came with an 8 year warranty though. Got all these horsepower restricted lakes in the area that are great bass lakes and don't allow speed boats. If I leave them I'll have a glass rig for big water. Game plan is to have a tin rig for the restricted small lakes and a glass rig for the big lakes in the area....one day maybe....
    Just curious .... There would be a lot of weight loss with the 25 and should draft a lot shallower..will the 25 get that boat on plane ?
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

8. Banned
    If your going to get another 25 Hp. Tell them to not weld the trim tabs on the bottom of the hull.!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger RT View Post
    Just curious .... There would be a lot of weight loss with the 25 and should draft a lot shallower..will the 25 get that boat on plane ?
    I've talked to quite a few guys at my home lake that have RT178s with 25s. They average around 21-23 mph depending on weight. Some as high as 25mph. So yea, it will get the boat on plane. My current 2016 175 TXW will even plane out, I just can't get any sort of speed out of my hull. Tracker makes a great riding hull but it isn't meant for any sort of weight and a small outboard IMO. I'm sure the 175 is great with a 75hp on the back.

10. Member
    You could have got a 75 and just replaced the 7 with a 2

Oh it's all been tried before so IDNR is pretty up to speed on catching sticker/cowl swappers. The ones who are smart find the old 3 cylinder 2 strokes and mod them up to 40 horsepower. Those old motors are a rare find around here anymore though.

Ebishop on here used to run a small outbaord on his pt175 until he upgraded. I dont recall if he had planing problems or not. I second what mr c said about not getting the tabs welded on the hull bottom since there will be zero lift with a 25 and you dont want any extra resistance and those create more than you think.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

I will ask the dealer about contacting Ranger on the trim tabs.

14. Member
    No one has asked the most important question. What color did you get?
    I don't always tell people where I fish, but when I do, it's a lie.

Went with the white. I have a black boat now that I'm trading on it (they let me keep my current boat until the ranger comes in) and it gets ridiculously hot in the summer.

Question on trim tabs.....wouldn't they help to plane the boat out better (stern lift) considering a small outboard? I asked about building it without them and they are getting back to me, but didn't know if it would be worse to NOT have them on with a small outboard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12