Jack plate questions on new 721

Ok noob question , my boat feels unstable above 55 mph, and it seems like it's getting worse the more I have it out, could I have something loose or my jackplate to high or to low? It's not chine walk it feels tipsy side to side like your in a john boat moving around when your on plane.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbowen77 View Post
    Ok noob question , my boat feels unstable above 55 mph, and it seems like it's getting worse the more I have it out, could I have something loose or my jackplate to high or to low? It's not chine walk it feels tipsy side to side like your in a john boat moving around when your on plane.
    That would actually be a very good description of exactly what chine walk feels like. Are you running a manual or hydro plate? If manual, get your prop to pad measurement and that will help. I didn't even know chine was possible at 55.

It is possible if you are trimmed all the way up and don't know how to drive a high performance hull. My boat will basically walk at like 50 mph if I trim all the way up and put my plate down and drive with no hands. See walks all over the place when doing that.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    It is possible if you are trimmed all the way up and don't know how to drive a high performance hull. My boat will basically walk at like 50 mph if I trim all the way up and put my plate down and drive with no hands. See walks all over the place when doing that.
    I couldn't imagine trying to drive like that- but I now know it's possible.

5. Member
    The chine walk I was experiencing is around 70mph , this here is side to side movement , not the nose moving left to right , 10" z lock plate, mercury 250 , 25 fury prop, and my jack plate is where ever they set it from factory I'm at work right now and will measure it in the morning , and I tried trimming way down and it still does it I keep my trim below the 1/4 mark on the gauge all the time, it just don't feel right now and the issue seems to be getting worse none of bolts on exterior part of jackplate are lose or the motor to jack plate , and I should of said noob to a performance boat I've got experience in a procraft 210

6. Member
    Chine is just as loose in the rear as in the bow. That's actually where the rocking originates. PTP measurement will hopefully explain it. But they usually come out of the factory deep, and that wouldn't make sense.

7. Member
    So what should my ptp be and , by you saying that is it possible My plate is to high ? My water pressure looks good , I got a tournament this weekend and I'm on 12 hour midnight shifts so any feed back or advice I can get to try and dial this thing in this week would help. I appreciate your replies greatly because I'm out of ideas to where I don't want to mess up playing with this plate just guessing , I could drive wide open and eat in that procraft , this boat is a different animal lol

8. Member
    I have a SHO, but these Merc guys can help ya quick with ptp if that's the issue. Sounds like you've got the right prop, or close enough. How do you have it loaded? Have you put some thought into where the weight is, and how it's distributed? Honestly, there isn't a whole lot of boat in the water when it's hooked up and the weight distribution is a pretty decent factor. Get that measurement on here in the AM and you'll get some feedback. To answer your question, I don't know for sure. I know the Fury behaves a lot better deeper than my SHO.

9. Member

i watched this video of a guy making a run in his 721 and from the looks of their body movements ,mines doing the same lol, guess I'm going to have to learn to drive it , my friends bullet don't act like this when I'm in it with him though , I will still get that ptp number so I can double check , starting to think I should of got a slower boat because it feels sketchy to me ��

i watched this video of a guy making a run in his 721 and from the looks of their body movements ,mines doing the same lol, guess I'm going to have to learn to drive it , my friends bullet don't act like this when I'm in it with him though , I will still get that ptp number so I can double check , starting to think I should of got a slower boat because it feels sketchy to me ��
    haha that's me! This was when I first got the boat and was learning to drive. The boat would start walking on me at 75 here.

MLF Invitationals Angler

Your friends bullet probably doesn't do it because he's correcting it before it even starts to do it. Keep at it. You'll get it. Ptp should be around 3" give or take. All depends on how you load it.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

Yep click on my channel and watch my 78 mph run from last year. It's 17 minutes long I believe and I run about 12-15 miles I think. I filmed that just a week or so after that video you watched and the boat doesn't walk at all.

MLF Invitationals Angler

13. Member
    Ok thanks guys! I'm getting ready to to check and see what my ptp is and I will get back with you, one thing I don't like is I wish the rod locker was on the right side I got all my soft baits in little totes on the right side now Up front I'm going to move a few things around and see if that helps also

14. Member
    Drew suggested to another fella to put a two foot level on the bow and sit in the drivers seat. Not a bad idea. I would have the majority of plastics in one of the rear compartments. When in a tourney I am usually pretty dialed in to exactly what plastics I'm going to be using and that is all that I have in deck middle compartment. I don't have anything of any weight in starboard rod compartment.

15. Member
    Stearing fluid might be low.
    Worth a check.

The chine walk I was experiencing is around 70mph , this here is side to side movement , not the nose moving left to right , 10" z lock plate, mercury 250 , 25 fury prop, and my jack plate is where ever they set it from factory I'm at work right now and will measure it in the morning , and I tried trimming way down and it still does it I keep my trim below the 1/4 mark on the gauge all the time, it just don't feel right now and the issue seems to be getting worse none of bolts on exterior part of jackplate are lose or the motor to jack plate , and I should of said noob to a performance boat I've got experience in a procraft 210
    Are you on a lake or river?
    A strong current will make the ass end of your boat feel like its sliding left and right. Especially at mid throttle.
    2016 F-150 2.7L EcoBoost 4x4 Northland Edition/Shadow Black
    2017 721 ProXP/250 Mercury Pro XS
    10" Bobs hydraulic, powder coated black
    Duel 12' Black Talons w/ black powder coated brackets
    36 volt Lithium Pro w/Stealth charger/112 Ultrex
    Dual HDS12 Gen 3
    Hydrowave

17. Member
    It was on the Ohio river and current was pretty fast that day was on a lake this weekend and felt a lot better at higher speeds , I'm starting to get the hang of it