Carp @ Ky Lake

RR or anyone who may answer this question...whats up with all the carp in the creeks and bays? It may just be a massive spawn occurring but I don't remember in the past them doing this in such a manner to where they are in every creek and bay on the lake at the same time...someone please educate me on whats going on....
    Last edited by John Bob Wilson; 04-27-2017 at 09:33 AM. Reason: cause I incorrectly identified subject species
    Nothing better than 5 in the box..

2. Member
    The majority of fish I could see were the smaller Asian carp. Unfortunately

3. Member
    The fish you seen are not gizzard shad , they are silver or Asian carp about 15" long.
    They were everywhere in bays and pockets and they were jumpers.
    We saw a few jump on the bank and saw one jump a tree , looked like it was trying to climb the tree , had a few hit my boat.
    Saw a bunch of dead ones.
    I even poked at a few with my rod.
    Not sure if they were dying or spawning or what.
    I have never seen that many that size doing what they were doing this weekend.
    2017 NITRO Z21
    250 MERCURY PRO XS
    POWER POLE BLADES
    LOWRANCE ELECTRONICS
    PRECISION SONAR MOUNTS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by washprotim View Post
    The fish you seen are not gizzard shad , they are silver or Asian carp about 15" long.
    They were everywhere in bays and pockets and they were jumpers.
    We saw a few jump on the bank and saw one jump a tree , looked like it was trying to climb the tree , had a few hit my boat.
    Saw a bunch of dead ones.
    I even poked at a few with my rod.
    Not sure if they were dying or spawning or what.
    I have never seen that many that size doing what they were doing this weekend.
    I made a thread about this in the TN forum earlier today. They were everywhere around Paris yesterday. I hit them with my rod too. Lol. I saw a bunch throw themselves up on the bank and die. It's like they were committing suicide. They were all about the same size... 15-18".

Hopefully the bass made a good meal out of the smaller ones. I wonder how quickly they grow to 15"+?

6. Member
    Definitely asians & they are everywhere. It's out of control

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    I saw a bunch throw themselves up on the bank and die. It's like they were committing suicide. They were all about the same size... 15-18".
    I saw this as well. It was also odd to me that the ones in 1 to 2 ft of water didn't appear afraid of the boat at all which usually isn't the case.

8. Member
    I thought it was very strange too. I don't fish KY very much, and this was the first time I've seen any of the carp. So I wasn't sure if it was normal behavior or not.

9. Member
    I was told that all of these carp dying are from the 2015 spawn hence why they are all about the same size. Something about the fish from that year have some kind of virus/bacteria that is killing them. You see a bunch on the bank because when they are about to die they will jump on the bank. I fished the Paris Landing area Friday and Saturday, and they are literally everywhere. Thousands of dead asian carp all over the banks.

10. Member
    well, i am not a marine biologist(obviously I suck at identification of certain marine life) but if there is an identified bacteria or virus that is possibly killing out the 2015 age class, why couldn't they figure out a way to take that virus and use it to eradicate all of those carp. I know thats a slippery slope but damn that species of fish..they are more useless than mosquitoes in my book. Hey thanks to all of you that have replied to my inquiry..I do appreciate it...

11. Member
    funny side note my 10 year old was so bored trying to catch a bass that he was trying to catch them with my dip net..He actually came very close a couple times

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by west_tn View Post
    I was told that all of these carp dying are from the 2015 spawn hence why they are all about the same size. Something about the fish from that year have some kind of virus/bacteria that is killing them. You see a bunch on the bank because when they are about to die they will jump on the bank. I fished the Paris Landing area Friday and Saturday, and they are literally everywhere. Thousands of dead asian carp all over the banks.
    Hopefully, if that is true, they give it to all the rest of them.

13. Member
    I experienced this first hand today.....put in at Kuttawa and the Asian carp were dirt shallow everywhere I tried fishing from buzzard rock to eddy creek......not sure If it's killing the shallow bite for everyone else but it sure felt like it did for me today.... very frustrating...

14. Member
    They are everywhere. Actually did catch a couple with a dip net and ate them. Pretty good fish but too bony. Does appear to be out of control.

15. Member
    If the water is rising, that will put them up shallow. Happens around here all the time. Water starts coming up and they will be in places you've never seen them before. Water starts falling and they pull back out to deeper water.