Problems with Abu Reels!!!

Hey guys looking for a little advice on Abu Reels. I just got pretty serious into bass fishing a few years ago. So 2 years ago I decided I needed some better equipment. I bought 4-5 STX reels a couple sx reels, a winch and 2 rockets. All these reels are gen 3 and have performed great until last week. Last week one of my stx's squeeled for a couple cast and then the spool locked up. It will not turn in either direction. This week one of the sx's did the exact same thing. I sure think I should get more than 2 years out of them right??? I have approx. 15-18 setups so no one gets overused in my opinion. So what your thoughts?? Would it do any good to contact Abu directly??? Switch brands?? Any advice would be welcomed.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

2. Member
    Contact abu I think they have lifetime warranty I've had some abus for 20 years with no issues

3. Member
    I went to there site and it says they only have a 1 year warranty. I did email them. I will follow up with a phone call tomorrow. I just hope this is not a sign of what's to come!! Thanks
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

4. Member
    Get rid of em and get a shimano

Look into Shimano or Diawa. I'm sure Abu are fine reels but Shimano and Diawa have proven time after time to be reels that outlast the competition.
    2008 Stratos 294 XL
    2008 Evinrude etec 200 HP H.O.

6. Member
    All reels when used need to be cleaned and lubed every other year if not every year. All anti reverse bearings need OIL & on Abu's the white and black engaging mechanism need oil. All bearings get oil and gears and thumbar get grease. Check out Youtube for any teardown/reassemble videos.
    1999 Triton Tr-18
    1999 Johnson 150 (J150PLEE)
    Abu Garcia for life

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by p2geo View Post
    Look into Shimano or Diawa. I'm sure Abu are fine reels but Shimano and Diawa have proven time after time to be reels that outlast the competition.
    FWIW, most old school, non-OEM Abus will last as long as most any Daiwa or Shimano. Sounds like your spool bearings locked up on you.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    FWIW, most old school, non-OEM Abus will last as long as most any Daiwa or Shimano. Sounds like your spool bearings locked up on you.
    Yep that is what happened. I cleaned them up and they are good to go. Thanks for all the help.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

9. Member
    Perhaps I'm lucky. Years of use and never an issue and I fish several times a week.