Hey Mike..nother question...SHO guys....

Seen another feller on here with the same issue few weeks ago. Just wondering if the SHO Skeeter combos are having issues with thrust washers for Turbo props like they do everything else...that other feller had mentioned stretching thrust washers and that's why Yamaha went to 2 piece with the T-1...That's why blew hub a few weeks ago was the thrust washer stretched out of whack and allowed slack, noticed some yesterday morning on the prop and had to change washer out...if this is gonna be a constant issue with a one piece thrust washer this ain't gonna work, I'm gonna have to go ahead and buy another Yamaha prop to use the 2 piece...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

I'd be guessing.... I think that keeping the prop nut torqued to specs is a huge player. Many dont keep an eye on this and when the nut gets loose, And it will, This allows movement and wear to the thrust washer. Then it gets looser and so on,

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

True...this was bad in an instant...I feel like I'm having to learn too much too quick with this 4.2L that I never had to worry about with the 3.1L...that motor ruined me...just gas, oil and ring free...

Jonathan Hillstrand

Just get a Tempest and be done with it. Then you can just add gas and go!

Or you can wait for the *new* T-1 copy, like me.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

Little hesitant to put that tempest on this motor and boat combo...big heavy boat...May get a 25 from my mechanic and just see what it'll do...read that smaller diameter won't perform very well under a load with this set up...
    And I don't want to be having to swap out props for different loads from one day to the next...that T-1 was great on this boat...Will end up with another I'm sure...
    Last edited by mrlawler1; 04-16-2017 at 08:44 PM.

Jonathan Hillstrand

6. Member
    I have 3 of the 2 piece washers that are stretched out, one let the prop get into the lower unit, the sho has a ton of bottom end torque an they are going to have to come up with a better system, also the tempest will strip the hubs constantly.
    ZX250 300SHO

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duramax82 View Post
    I have 3 of the 2 piece washers that are stretched out, one let the prop get into the lower unit, the sho has a ton of bottom end torque an they are going to have to come up with a better system, also the tempest will strip the hubs constantly.
    How can you tell if your thrust washer is stretched out. Looked at mine the other day and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. You would think that yamaha would have these issues figured out already. I never had a problem out of HPDI Series 2.
    Torrey Aiken

Heat caused by friction is what stretched out the thrust washers in my case. Talked to Jerry about it and he recommended the flo torq solid hub. So it's got that in it now...Will have a chance to run it tomorrow...

If you don't see anything out of the ordinary then it wasn't stretched...if it's stretched them it'll be a job to get the washer off the shaft number one...number 2, the nut is probably very loose when you go to take it off...in my case there was no question...this was a new thrust washer before I left that morning...the rubex stuff I had on the shelf never held up for me with this equipment like it did prior...let's see how the merc stuff does...

You can see the discoloration from the heat buildup...
    Last edited by mrlawler1; 04-18-2017 at 08:35 AM.

Jonathan Hillstrand

9. Member
    My thrust washer doesn't look like that. I'll try and post a pic.
    Torrey Aiken

I dont like the 2pc design, so I never bothered to run one. I use the full flo-tq w/ 1 pc thrust washer and havent had an issue. I use the coned insert as well so I can make it extra tight. I also dont loosen to line up the cotter pin, always go tighter to get it to line up. I also take it off at least once a month to check for line, clean and re-grease, including putting grease where the thrust washer and shaft interface. Havent had any issues in over a years use.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    Little hesitant to put that tempest on this motor and boat combo...big heavy boat...May get a 25 from my mechanic and just see what it'll do...read that smaller diameter won't perform very well under a load with this set up...
    And I don't want to be having to swap out props for different loads from one day to the next...that T-1 was great on this boat...Will end up with another I'm sure...
    It's not that heavy. I ran a Tempest on my Ranger 521/250 HPDI. Now that's a heavy boat/motor.

I never hesitate to run a Tempest. I don't know what you have been reading, but my personal experience has been that the Tempest out performs all other props with a heavy load. I have run a Tempest on 3 different boats, and it carries a load better than everything else I have tried. I have tried lots of different props, but I keep ending up with a Tempest.

You NEED to swap props for different loads. You won't get consistent performance out of the same prop with different loads. I always have at least 2 props for every boat. Right now, I run 3 props on my ZX225. Two of those are Tempest props. The other is a 4-blade. There is no "one size fits all" approach to props.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

No I shouldn't have to swap out props to run my boat properly...I got a very consistent performance from the 25 T1 .. There was no need to run a different prop. If I was running an hpdi or a merc or even an older 3.1 then I'd consider a tempest again...

Jonathan Hillstrand

Well, it's your boat. Run it how you want.

I like to run mine at the max recommended rpm. To do that, I have to swap props for the different loads. The Tempest carries a heavy load better.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

That T-1 ran the 250 at 6000 rpms and didn't drop off much bet little at all under a load it was just a little slower to get there. Not enough to matter... I'll go back with it soon as I get a minor repair fixed... I'll prolly end up swapping this Solas 24 for something else cause with this one the speed is right at 70 at 5600 hundred under load...I need to get that other 400 rpm...

Jonathan Hillstrand

15. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by utinator View Post
    Just get a Tempest and be done with it. Then you can just add gas and go!

Or you can wait for the *new* T-1 copy, like me.
    New T1? Are they remaking the prop? I'm looking to get a T1 for my zx20 so this is intriguing.
    2023 Skeeter ZXR20
    2014 Skeeter ZX20 with 250 SHO
    2005 Wellcraft 252c

Quote Originally Posted by Scope3334 View Post
    New T1? Are they remaking the prop? I'm looking to get a T1 for my zx20 so this is intriguing.
    You could ask Mike, but he's not talking. He ran the prototype, but wouldn't share. It's not made by Yamaha or Turbo props. It's someone else that we all know. I don't know when it will be available to the rest of us.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

Quote Originally Posted by utinator View Post
    You could ask Mike, but he's not talking. He ran the prototype, but wouldn't share. It's not made by Yamaha or Turbo props. It's someone else that we all know. I don't know when it will be available to the rest of us.

This is not true....

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Ok so I have on and went and got a 25 tempest to give a whirl tomorrow.... Right now on my slidemaster I'm right at the 6th for... You can barely see the top of the 6th for... Not sure what the equates to. Reckon where I should start.... Here or drop down a little?

Jonathan Hillstrand

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    Ok so I have on and went and got a 25 tempest to give a whirl tomorrow.... Right now on my slidemaster I'm right at the 6th for... You can barely see the top of the 6th for... Not sure what the equates to. Reckon where I should start.... Here or drop down a little?
    Leave for now, drop as needed

That's what I intended unless someone has real numbers fore.... Gonna try it maybe tomorrow...

Jonathan Hillstrand