KY lake/Asian carp

I fished around Danville yesterday and the carp were everywhere. I don't fish KY often, so this was my first experience with them. They seemed to be acting real strange, they were just sitting right below the surface. I could run them over with the boat and not move. Or, they would be right on the shore and throw themselves on the bank. Almost like they were committing suicide. There were dead ones on every bank and floating too. They were all the same size about 18". I hope they all die, but it didn't seem right to me. Is this normal behavior? We did catch a bunch of fish but couldn't find the big ones.

2. Member
    Wish they would kill themselves. They are really ruining the lakes

3. Member
    Paris Landing Marina has has a bunch of dead ones laying on the bank and others swimming around doing what you described. It seems to be happening all north of here as well from what I've read on Crappie.Com the other day.

I've lived here for about 3 years now and I haven't seen this happen before this spring. I hope it's due to some type of species specific virus being used on them.

4. Member
    I hope they are all dying. Maybe whatever it is, is killing the smaller ones. I thought it was strange it was only the ones about 15-18". I know they get much bigger than that, and I didn't see any big dead fish.

How is all of this affecting the bass fishing? We just made plans to be there the first week of May.

6. Member
    Could just have been us, but anywhere we saw carp, we didn't catch any fish. We did end up with 25-30 LM/SM on jigs and c-rigs, biggest were only about 3lbs though.

7. Member
    Saw the exact same thing south. Lots of carp jumping up on bank and lots of dead ones. There must be a reason for this? Maybe spawning?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiSS View Post
    Saw the exact same thing south. Lots of carp jumping up on bank and lots of dead ones. There must be a reason for this? Maybe spawning?

Not spawning, they have a virus/bacteria that is killing them.

9. Member
    Ditto on this.. Fished out of Danville and south Last Sat.. everywhere, in every pocket this was happening. I couldn't wonder what effect this would be having with bass on beds? Our boat must have been hit by them 20 times. Several almost jumped in with us. All about the same size? They were thick in the flowers and just outside.... we caught a lot of Bass but none actually in the flowers? I don't think this is a spawn? I believe they generally spawn in current by drifting the eggs in large groups.. similar to say a spoonbill? don't hold me to this but I think I read this somewhere. I wonder if this isn't them up chasing new photoplankton & algae in the dying vegetation recently flooding? Something is messing them up..most we saw up there looked awful with many swimming or jumping on the bank and getting trapped. good riddance.

10. Member
    If it is a virus, I hope they all get it.

We saw it as well when we were down there at the end of March...very strange. I saw a news report that Kentucky Lake is now off limits due to the problem?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    We saw it as well when we were down there at the end of March...very strange. I saw a news report that Kentucky Lake is now off limits due to the problem?
    Haven't heard the lake is off limits, that news would have spread pretty quickly on here. TN bass federation, had something on facebook about it the other day. Some virus that is only effecting the Asian carp, good riddance.

I saw dead Asian carp everywhere last weekend on KY lake north of Paris Landing. Mostly smaller ones but saw a few pretty big ones too. Hopefully they all die off.

14. Member
    Been on the water the last 2 days and there are thousands of them floating in the backs of pockets..
    Glad it's not 105 out yet, but the smell has been pretty bad..
    lewisboat.com
    Omega Custom Tackle
    Lewis Pro Team
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite