Thread: Dfi oil leak

Dfi oil leak

2006 225 pro xs. 1b263101.

A brief history first. Had engine in the shop a little less than a month ago for Annual service and while there the power head gasket and adapter plate gasket was also replaced. A few days after fishing I have been seeing a small quarter to half dollar size spot of dfi oil on the garage floor under the lower unit and appears to be coming from the mating surface between the lower unit and mid section at the front and running down the leading edge of the lower unit. Definitely dfi oil cause it is a brownish color, not green or blue like lower unit lube.

Done a search on here and seeing things like oil pump leak, crank seals, overfilling the remote tank as possibilities. Pulled the cowling and there was small amount of oil in the lower cowling which I assume was from pulling powerhead to change out the gasket. Could the oil leak I now have be related to the powerhead gasket replacement? And it is/was draining down through the engine and onto lower unit? Not sure what all was removed and disconnected that is oil related. to do these gaskets.

Today I cleaned the lower cowling up real well so I can maybe tell if any new oil shows up in that area.
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

2. Member
    Oil leak IS possible from pulling power head IF oil lines were disconnected. Clean up all oil and check for leaks.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Oil leak IS possible from pulling power head IF oil lines were disconnected. Clean up all oil and check for leaks.
    Thanks! I cleaned everything really good yesterday under the cowling, was definitely some oil in the bottom of the lower cowling. Wiped it all out and took the boat out today to fish half a day. Will check over the next couple of days and see how things are now.
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you have access to a UV leak detection kit.... use the light and glasses to look for leaks. Optimax/DFI oil will fluoresce "yellow".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor