Thread: Bent Skeg

Bent Skeg

2B087898. 175 Pro XS

I hit a floater today. Thought I got away with it because I didn't feel anything when it happened but once I trailered the boat I saw that the skeg had a small bend in it. Motor ran fine after incident. The skeg is still "straight" but now has a slight hump. Pictures are below. Can I fix this myself or is it even worth fixing? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by mcmanucr; 04-18-2017 at 07:53 AM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Really would need to see pictures. One thing to keep in mind is that your engine is still under WARRANTY, and in order for the gearcase to be covered, it would need to be repaired to Warranty Standards.

ANY sign of impact is grounds for gearcase claim denial.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Sorry for the delay. The pics are below. What are your thoughts?

Attached Images Attached Images

You are about 2 hours from Propeller Dynamics, they do great skeg repair work! Give them a call and talk to Robbie
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I personally do not recommend skeg "repair" on any setup that will be reaching or exceeding 55 MPH. In such cases, the housing should be replaced (after verifying the shaft is straight, and internal components are in good condition).

Skeg is a safety item... it's what provides your lateral support at high speeds (and sudden loss of a portion of the skeg can cause uncontrolled and undesired maneuvers).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    If need replacement, probably would be an insurance covered repair.