Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

97 Triton Tr21-21 setup

2007 225 HPDI
    10" slidemaster jackplate

Yamaha 27T1. 71@5400
    26 Tempest plus. 71@5600rpm
    25 Trophy Plus. 70@5600rpm

I blew the motor awhile back and build the motor back. After 10 hr break in got on it one day and got it up to 71 and fried number 2 piston again. It didn't hurt the cylinder and I machined and put a new piston in it. I never really pushed the motor hard with the T1. I mostly ran around 66 in tournaments and that was 5200-5300 rpms.
    I believe my boat is overpropped with the 27T1 and it's what the caused the detonation. I have since switched and have been running the tempest and the trophy and most of my rpms and speed come after 5000rpm where the T1 would be ran mostly under 5000.

checked my prop to pad today and I was only about an 1 1/2 below pad. I dropped the motor down to 2 1/2 to try it there. Here is my problem. Shouldn't I be turning more rpms with the motor then I am? I was wanting to get it closer to 6000.

Any ideas or help on setup will be appreciated.
    Donald

2. Member
    The only experience I have with a Triton was a friend's TR 20 but I think most of them run better at about 2-2.5" under. You might be able to go a little higher with a 10" JP. Try a Tempest+ 25. Tempest run very well on that hull but the 26 was too steep. Hope this helps.

3. Member
    Did you try a 25 T on it or a 25 TXP? Start raising it back up 1/4" at a time but don't run that trophy above 2" under or it might throw a blade. If your 26" tempest is stock it probably needs some work, most don't run very well new out of the box.

4. Member
    Yes, I ran the 25 Trophy. I got to get some pvs plugs. It had 4 medium plugs and wouldn't plane off without ring. Put ring and one solid plug in and it's still really hard to get it to plane out. I'm guessing I need one or two more solid plugs. It feels hooked up good running it as high as my plate was. I haven't ran it since I moved plate down to 2 1/2. Hopefully I can get some plugs and run it tomorrow afternoon.

i have not ran a 25 T1 on it.
    Donald

5. Member
    You can try running with all holes blocked solid and no ring on the trophy. I'd don't think the Yamaha's like a trophy prop blocked off with a ring.

6. Member
    I got 3 solid plugs today to try. Didn't see your post before I picked them up or I would have got more. I know the tone of engine is a lot different. It's awhole lot quieter and don't have the roar but still spins to 5600. Without the ring it might spin a little more.
    Donald

7. Member
    All you need is solid plugs and if it bogs a little you drill a hole in a plug until it doesn't.

8. Member
    Ran it yesterday with 3 solid plugs and one about tip of pinky size plug. Still have the ring on it. Hole shot improved a lot. Rpms jump to 4000 and I still have to feather it once it starts coming up. Feels like I need 1 more solid plug. Mdtriton21 , do you feel I need to remove the ring still? As far as running it handles a lot better since I dropped the motor down. A lot less steering torque. Turned 5600 rpms@ 68 loaded with me and a friend @460 pounds.
    Donald

9. Member
    Put the solid plug in it and run it for now. You may have to try a larger prop at least a 26" if it still revs up to 4000 at take off.

10. Member
    Ok. I ran it this evening with the 25 trophy. All plugs solid with blow out ring. By myself with my gear and both livewells full. I hit 70 and think it hit 5700 rpm for a sec. it's still shooting to 4000 when coming out of the whole then starts to blow out and I have to let off some until it breaks over then can hammer it. I talked a friend today who has a 25 tempest he is going to let me run. I'd still like to get my rpms up some more. I still also have my motor set 2 1/2 below pad.
    Donald

11. Member
    I've noticed the motor begins to whistle when you get up to 5500-5600 rpms. I'm guessing it's the air passing through are air box. Had my fishing partner with me. He said the thing sounds and handles much better running higher rpms.
    Last edited by DaleHollar1; 04-22-2017 at 12:49 AM.
    Donald

12. Member
    Did you put the 26" tempest on it and try it again? I don't know why you would try a 25" tmpest when you have the 26". Raise the motor 1/4" and test the 26" tempest.
    Last edited by mdtritn21; 04-21-2017 at 12:20 PM.

13. Member
    The reason I'm trying lower pitch props is because I need to get my rpms up more. I already know the 26 tempest ran 5600 at 1 1/2 below and now I'm 2 1/2 which should kill some rpms. I ran the 25 Tempest yesterday at 2 1/2 below and ran 70@ 5700. I'm thinking this may be the prop I need to go with and have it balanced and blueprinted.
    Donald

14. Member
    How many lbs. of water pressure are you showing now at wide open throttle. I'd try the 26" tempest again and move the motor up to 2" under. If it the rpm's come up and the speed improves then have it B&B since you've only gained rpm's but lost speed with the 25". Most 26" tempests are not very good unless they have been worked and that motor can run higher on the plate than a Mercury as long as it keeps 11 lbs of water pressure at WOT.

15. Member
    My gauge starts off at 10 when not running. And it's showing 29 when I am at WOT. So I am guessing 19 pounds. I've never had a buzzer go off for heat. Even when I was at 1 1/2 PTP. It was just a beast to steer.
    Donald

16. Member
    You don't know how many lbs. of water pressure it has because that gauge is broke if it says 10 lbs. at idle.

17. Member
    I'll try to find me a new one and get back with number. I did run the 25 trophy at 2 1/4 yesterday and it feels better at 2 1/2. Will run the 26 tempest at 2" when I get gauge installed.
    Donald

18. Member
    Ok. I got a good water pressure gauge. My gauge was just off on where it started at. It started at 19psi. So I ran the 26 tempest plus again @2 1/4 below and it ran 71 with me my gear and 1/2 tank @5600 rpm. Water temp was 70 and air temp around the same. I can trim all the way out and it lifts the front very well. Probably a couple more inches then the Trophy does. Would I benefit from sending this prop to be balanced and blueprinted? Also, should I have something done to bring my rpms up a little more? Thanks for all the help.
    Donald

19. Member
    If the 26 has never been worked I'd send it to Mark Croxton and have him check it and do what needs to be done to at least put it to factory spec. since most 26" tempest need some work when new. Having it B&B depends on where you fish since a B&B thins the blades and makes them easier to damage. You can try raising the motor 1/4" at a time until you gain rpm's but not speed, loose water pressure or bow lift then drop it 1/4" and run it.

20. Member
    Ours ran best with a 25 tempest @ 2.5" below. With a 26 it was too hard to get up with fish in the well and full tackle etc.
    ran good numbers with a 26 fury empty but not loaded to fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast