New coils vrs old coil's readings

1995 Mercury 135 OG274584...Bought some new Mercury coils..part # 339-832757A4...installed them and motor runs worst now then it did with old coils...So i ohmed out the new coils and the + to - reads ok but when i check the secondary windings from plug wire tower to either + or - post they read 1450 ohm's and Mercury manual says secondary's should be 800 - 1100 ohm's....Now my switch box readings are all over the place and #2 #4 and #6 are miss firing...
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Are you reading from the plug wire TOWER, or from the PLUG WIRE END? Can be a BIG difference....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Readings from the tower to the +and-...No plug wire installed
    Bruce Phillips

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's a pretty broad difference... and not one I've seen on the ADI coils (not really had any problems with them in quite a few years).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I don't know who made the coils...but all 6 read the same and was wondering if the difference in the secondary resistance would make a difference in the coil output or harm switch boxes.....i realize that the primary circuit reads the same and may the only thing the switch boxes care about....Thanks
    Bruce Phillips

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Should not affect switchboxes...

7. Member
    Thanks...
    Bruce Phillips

8. Member
    I had sent an email to supplier and told him of my findings and they are not OEM mercury coils, but i could return them if i wanted to for full refund..
    Bruce Phillips

9. Member
    I put all my old coils on and i had acquired 2 known good used ones and put all 6 in and motor runs 95% better..starts easier and actually idles now...so i guess im returning new coils...something about the coils motor dont like.
    Bruce Phillips

10. Member
    been there bought a mtr one time to rebuild had some on it like to have never figured it out /wont happen again guarrantee
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

11. Member
    Old girl sounds pretty good to my hard of hearing ears..

Bruce Phillips